Get Out

"Essence, take back your power!"

I quickly sit up, drenched in a cold sweat, the loud words echoing in my ear.

"Wh--Why are you yelling at me?" I groan as I rub my temples. I then realize I'm in a bed with Amira beside me.

"Huh, are you ok babe?" She looks at me sympathetically. I rub my sore neck and slowly look around the room , realizing I'm home in Titan's bedroom.

"What's going on Mira?" I ask.

Her glossy lips quiver as she shakes her head.

"You had a long night boo, do you remember anything?"

"Yea I just--I guess I just had a bad dream. I've missed you though girl, it's been a whole week." I rub her cute little belly with my God daughter inside.

"Aww , we missed you too babe, sooo—Titan called and asked me to come stay with you while he uhh—went out, do you need anything? How do you feel?"

"I don't know." I shake my head as a slight chill runs through my body.

"I know, I'm sorry, I'm here for you though sis, whatever you need." She says as she plays with my messy curls.

"I feel like I don't know myself anymore." I start to sob. She quickly pulls me into a tight hug, her sweet Chanel perfume helps to ease my mind.

"It's gonna be OK I promise, and I'm here for you just like you we're there for me. Your the strongest woman I know and you have an amazing man by your side too." She rubs my back.

"Thanks love, have you talked to Elle or Mani?" I sniffle, she takes a deep breath.

"Oh, Ess--" She starts.

I quickly shake my head not wanting to hear the rest. A flashback of Mani kicking and screaming and Elle being slumped over quickly invade my mind.

"They--I--I'm--"

"Noooo, Oh—God!" I cover my mouth.

"Elle is still missing, but umm—Mani--"

"Please no, oh God, not again pleeease!" I wail.

"Th--they found her body at an old trap house about two hours ago, she--she overdosed."

"Oh God , he-- he killed her!" I scream, I throw my legs over the bed and try to stand, but they quickly give out on me.

"Essence!" She gasps as she crawls over the bed to help me up.

"I'm so sick and tired of my life! What the fuck have I done to deserve all this shit, why is everyone I love leaving me?" I cry hysterically.

"Shhhhh, it's ok, it's ok, you did nothing at all babe, your such an amazing person , life just happens but it's gonna get better, now who is this guy who you said killed Mani?" She asks, helping me to sit back down.

"Wait—wait, you said Elle is missing, so she--she's not dead? Well why isn't anyone looking for her? We have to go find her, I—I can't lose her too!" I try to stand up again but she grabs my arm.

"Essence no! You cant do anything right now girl, you need to relax and worry about you for once, please, but who is this nigga you said killed Emani?"

"Uhhhhggg, the crazy ass Black nigga! He's this ugly ass dope boy who hangs around campus, we just found out Mani was doing drugs with him like you said, he came to the studio last night to get his money from her and then things just got crazy." I massage my temples.