Black Mothers Matter

"It's not that serious." I say. He looks at me like I was crazy.

"The fuck did you just say?" He says, practically slamming on the breaks.

"OK great idea! Give me more whiplash, damn!" I yell.

"The fuck. Did you. Just say?" He says again slowly.

"I don't need you to fight my battles Rico!" I fuss.

"Who yo crybaby ass yelling at though?" He cocks his head.

"You!" I poke his forehead hard as hell leaving a red spot.

He gently moves my finger and put it in his mouth. "Watch your lil ass fingers ma. Unless you want me to use mine too." He smirks.

"Your gross." I lie knowing I liked it. I can only imagine how talented he probably was. Lawd this man.

"Of course I'm gonna fight for you. This nigga got us fucked up." He starts.

"Your not my man Rico. You dont owe me any--"

"Your not my man Rico." He mimicks me in a high pitched voice, and I giggle.

"Not to be rude, but I don't even know you like that, I barely even know your full name."

'"You never asked." He shrugs.

"Well what is it then?" I asked.

"Rico Delmarian Reese. Why you worried though? You want my social too, or are you tryna see if you'll like your future last name?" He smirks.

"Haha , aren't you confident." I roll my eyes.

"I'm gonna laugh my ass off the day your eyes get stuck." He says.

"Whatever." I roll them again as I reply to a group message with the girls.

"Do you need to go to the hospital and get checked out?" He asked me.

"No I have a migraine but I'm fine." I say.

"You sure? Cause you look a mess." He laughs. I flip him off.

"What I tell you about those fingers?" He says. We turned onto 10th Street and I realize we were near Piedmont Park.

"Did I interrupt your video shoot?" I ask sincerely.

"It's cool ma, they understood. I'm just coming back to grab some of my equipment. Then I'll take you wherever you wanna go."

My phone vibrates and Mommy's picture flashes on the screen.

"Mommmmyy!" I sing.

"Hello, is this Essence Adeyemi?" An unfamiliar voice asks.

"Umm , yes who is this?"

"This is detective Jason Stagger with the Fulton County Police Department. Your mother Talise Adeyemi's body has just been found here at 8977 Belle Ave by your housekeeper a um—Laura Bivens. I'm so--"

My phone slips out of my hand and my vision becomes blurry. Rico's mouth is moving in slow motion and I couldn't comprehend a word he's saying . My head and heart began to pound relentlessly , and my mouth goes dry. I could feel my body temperature rise as I began to tug at my top to rip it off.

Rico grabbed my hands as the car stops at the green light. I try to talk but no words would come out. I hear horns honking and start gasping for air while shaking uncontrollably as the tears come. I can hear every other word Rico was saying like , Essence, and calm, but then he started to sound like he was speaking another language.

Then everything goes black.

I slowly open my heavy eyelids and hear a faint beeping sound . I look around but my vision is still blurry. I can see the shadowy silhouettes of people but I can't make out their faces. I blink hard to clear my eyes and feel a warm hand grab mine. I sit up but immediately feel dizzy.

"Essence." A small voice says.

I squint and realized it's Ellarie. Her golden face has a mild red tint and is stained with mascara from where tears have previously fallen. I stare at her blankly and she gives me a weak smile. My vision comes back a little and I look around the room.  I can't see them but I can feel that all eyes were on me.

"What's--whats's go-- going on?" I manage to choke out. My mouth is dry as hell. Mani who was on the other side of me hands me a cup of water, and gives me a tight hug. Her face is also tear stained.

"Miss Rebecca, she's awake!" I recognize Skye's voice.

A short,blue eyed, brunette women in pink scrubs and bright pink lipstick rushed into the room. She looks a hot ass mess and clearly doesn't know how to properly apply blush. I can see that half blind.

"Well good evening gorgeous. My name is Rebecca." She greets me while checking what I assume is an IV in my arm and the beeping machine next to me. "Your at Grady Memorial Hospital. You fainted a few hours ago. You were mildly dehydrated but we've gotten that under control." She explains.

"Wha--What's going on?" I ask again still confused.

"Are you able to understand me hun?" Rebecca asked.

"She's not fuckin' retarded she's just confused" Rico speaks up for me, and poor Rebecca was taken aback.

"I --I--understood you Becky". I stammer.

"OK ,I'll be back sweetie." She says as she leaves.

"I'm so confuuusssed." I whine. Miss Deb comes over as Mani and Elle start to cry and Skye walks with them out of the room.

"Oh hey Miss Deb, what are you doing here and what's wrong with them? I'm not dying am I?" I ask her and she lets out a sigh as she grabs my hands gently.

"No honey, but we have some horrible news." She begins.

My dad emerges from the bathroom and comes to my other side. " Hi baby girl I--"

"What are you doing here?" I snarl still pissed at him.

Erick walks up beside him. "Mama is gone Ess." He blurts.

"Well she's always gone somewhere. No surprise she'll be back like always. Why is everyone acting like I'm dying or something if I just fainted?" I ask.

"Essence she--she was murdered, a—and she isn't coming back." My dad stammers.

"Get out!" I yell.

"Essence we--"

"EVERYBODY GET THE FUCK OUT!" I scream at the top of my lungs.