4. Of Dinner and Awkwardness

Start from the beginning

"I know." he said coldly.

"Yeah. He gave me a warm welcome in the school." I added sarcastically.

In the meantime, Dad announced that the dinner was ready. We all sat down on the dinner table. I helped Dad in serving the dinner. Throughout the time, I could feel Adam's glare on me. Though he didn't speak anything, I could feel the irritation and arrogance radiating off him.

"So Adam, how old are you?" Dad asked in his authoritative voice.

"Nineteen, sir." Adam replied, looking into Dad's eyes. Though his tone didn't get any better, he had corrected his resting bitch face. Well, good for him. My dad was not someone you could mess with.

"I've heard you want to join Harvard too." Dad said while cutting his steak.

"Yes sir. I am aspiring to be a theoretical physicist." he replied.

"Good for you." Dad commented and turned his attention back to his place.

After we were done with dinner, Tiffany's boyfriend Joey joined us too. Dad engrossed in his boring business talks with him. When he noticed my bored face, he asked me to show Tiffnay and adam around. We left the lounge, Adam and Tiffany were silently following me.

Suddenly, someone's phone rang when we were on our way to climb the stairs.

"Alicia! Take Adam with you. I need to answer this call." Tiffany excused herself, leaving me alone with Adam.

I silently ascended the stairs and trudged into my room, followed by Adam's muffled footsteps.

"Thats.. That's my room." I said awkwardly. His eyes roamed around the room, finally resting on my face. For some weird reason, my heart was wildly thumping inside my chest cavity.

Before I could embarrass myself in front of him, he walked past me and stopped near my guitar.

"So it is you who plays those awful lyrics at night." he commented as he touched the strings lightly.

"You know, it won't physically hurt you to be nice for once." I crossed my arms in front of my chest and groaned.

"I don't want to take a chance." the corner of his lips lifted a little as he finished his sentence.

"Well, you don't hear me complaining. The view of a someone so desperately working out is not a delight either." I retorted in a weary voice.

"I bet it isn't." he narrowed his eyes at me and answered.

"I might ask Dad to have someone permanently close these windows." I added.

"I bet you do." he continued, making me frown deeper.

Ugh.. Why is he so damn annoying?

"Take your arrogant ass out of my room." I scowled at him, pointing towards the door.

With small steps, he walked towards me. I took a step backwards when he neared me. He was invading my personal space, making me a bit uncomfortable. The urge to push back his golden-brown hair covering his forehead was increasing with every passing second.

"Gladly." he mumbled against my face and then walked past me out of my room. It took me a minute to calm down my racing heartbeat.

Jerk.

By the time I made my way to the lounge, Adam was nowhere in the sight. Tiffany and Joey left after few moments, but not before inviting us to have dinner sometime at their house. After Dad left for some work, I rushed back to my room and called Emily.

"Wow. That's like news of the month. Adam McArdle is your neighbor. I don't know what to say." she exclaimed when I told her about Adam.

"I don't know either. He is so rude, annoying, irritating, arrogant and, and, uhh-"

"And freakishly handsome?" Emily teased.

"No freaking way." I yelped.

She laughed at my reaction. "Well. Like I told you before, he is dangerous. Just be safe." she instructed.

"I will." I replied.

After I cut the call, my feet inadvertently took me to my window, I peeked through the curtains towards Adam's room. Strangely, I found him staring at the sky from his window. His eyes were closed and his eyebrows were drew together, as if he was in some deep thoughts.

After a moment, he sighed and opened his eyes. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to duck back inside the room so he caught me staring at me. Our eyes locked in an awkward encounter and I felt frozen on my spot.

"So much for not a delight?" his voice rose from his window.

"Shut up." I yelled and closed the curtains.

"Shut up? SHUT UP? You call this a reply?" After cursing my awkward self, I lay down on my bed and clenched my eyes tightly.

_____________________

Did you like their bickering? If yes, then do vote. :)