4. Of Dinner and Awkwardness

Start from the beginning

It was Sunday evening. After helping Dad in preparing the dinner, I took a long shower and began searching for something to wear. The task was rather difficult, given that my dressing sense is a little, umm, boyish. I tried calling Rachel but her phone was off. Then came Emily to my rescue.

"Red turtle neck sweater or royal blue tank top?" I asked again.

"Why are you even asking? Red turtle neck of course." she responded.

"Great." I spoke and then cut the call after ensuring her that I would give her every juicy bits.

Dropping the towel to the ground, I slipped into the sweater and tights. After drying my hair with a blow-dryer, I let them down in natural waves and applied nude lipstick to my chapped lips.

After I was satisfied with my appearance, I made my way to the lounge where a blonde woman was sitting on the lounge and talking to ny dad. A wide smile appeared on her lips when she noticed my presence.

"You must be Alicia." she exclaimed and walked towards me. I pulled out my hand for a shake but she enveloped me in a big hug instead.

"Yeah." I breathed out, feeling a little suffocated because of her hold around me. When she pulled away, I heaved a sigh of relaxation.

"I am Tiffany. I live in the neighborhood with my boyfriend and my nephew." she responded when she noticed my confusion.

"Oh." I nodded, forcing a smile on my face.

Nephew? Means that guy is her nephew.

"So mam-"

"Call me Tiffany sweetie. I am just twenty nine." she chuckled as she sat down on the couch. Dad moved aside to make some space for me.

"Umm.. Tiffany. Are you here alone?" I asked, looking around.

"Well, Joey had to go back to his office last minute." she was probably referring to her boyfriend. "And my nephew must be here within half an hour."

"Great." I smiled.

We all sat down in the lounge. Dad left to check the food and Tiffany and I engaged in a casual conversation. She told me about the night life in New York and how could I easily access entry in those through a fake ID.

"When I was your age, I used to be the head cheerleader in Redwood high. Would you like to try it out in the auditions too?" She asked in her enthusiastic voice.

"No. I don't want it to affect my studies." I reasoned.

"Well, that's nice too. Which college do you want to join?" she asked.

"Harvard. I'm looking forward to a career in medicine." I told her.

"Really? Wow. You must be a nerd. Umm.. I mean.. You must have good grades." she grinned. "Adam wants to join Harvard too."

"Adam?"

"Yeah, my nephew." she informed.

Could it be the same Adam? No. Probably not. There must be hundreds of Adam in New York.

"He is a senior in Redwood. You must have seen him." she further added.

You gotta be kidding me woman.

"Uh..I.."

"Look who is here. When did you come inside?" Tiffany spoke to someone behind me and I turned around, only to meet with the familiar grey eyes.

"Just a minute ago. Mr. King let me in." he spoke in a flat tone without casting another glance at me.

"Adam! Meet Alicia. She is in your school." Tiffany introduced us and I forced a smile on my face.