Chp 137 - Reyna's POV

A/N: So, I'm anticipating your Xmas gift! Even if I'm really sad about not getting any other vote for pjo awards after the last two updates...   :(   and now it's already closed

MONDAY, 2nd January

After waving to a parting Sierra, Reyna entered the gym with Frank.

"Hm... hi, praetor. Hey, pal, good to see you again."

Reyna nodded to the awkward wave Adam sent in her direction, going to change her clothes before Krav Maga, pointing Frank to the man's bathroom.

Why is he acting so weird?

It could be because we didn't call him after our date.

Well, we had no reason to. And we were away with Hilda, that was enough of a headache.

I almost feel sorry for him.

You do?

He's trying to get close to us. And admittedly, we're not the kind of people who make easy for others to get close. Sierra was right about that, the only reason she's your friend is that she decided to be, because I think you never really made any effort to have her as a friend. And before you yell at me, just know I'm the same. I'm a bit of a loner at a camp I was made the leader. I used to think that it was because of my position, that I had to keep a certain distance, and I just made me look more stupid.

Why do you say that?

I was alone, so I tried to grasp at whatever I could. First, with Jason, I was creating in my mind something that was not meant to be, mostly because I didn't have anyone else, it was him who knew me, truly knew me.

And then he left and came back with a girlfriend.

I wasn't really jealous of her, I was jealous of them. It hurt more to know that I couldn't have THAT, not that I couldn't have HIM. I'm grateful that Percy remembered having a girlfriend right at the start because getting my hopes up and then crushed a second time wouldn't have been nice. I think a lot of praetors got involved not only because they worked closely together, but because they were close only to each other.

And why are you thinking about that now?

I don't have close friends, Regina. You at least have Sierra.

Didn't you say you became close to Nico?

He's like a small little brother, but I can't have girl talk with him, for an example.

Annabeth?

She's my equal and I'm very grateful for having met her, she can see a lot of things others can't, just because she thinks like me. Still, she has Percy, she's friends with Piper and Hazel, she lives in a cabin full of half-siblings, she works closely with their teacher, she's searched for general advice, and not only war-related advice. When they play Capture the Flag, she leads her group, while I act as referee to War Games. She can connect better than I can.

Do you want to connect as she does?

I just want to have people treating me with a small degree of informal. Hazel does it a little because she saw me outside camp. Frank is my co-praetor and even he took his time to start treating me less formally. I like the respect, but I miss a little the easy interactions I saw the Greeks keep between them. I'm Roman, I value order and hierarchy, I just wished I could get a break from it with at last a couple of people.