Chp 79 - Annabeth's POV

Annabeth's Flashback

SUNDAY

Annabeth was in her desk, studying for the upcoming exams. Barbara was lying in Annabeth's bed, playing with a small ball Annie kept close to release stress. She had come over to give Annabeth her costume.

"I was surprised, Jodi is smart"

Annabeth chuckled. 

"Why were you so surprised? Not everyone is stupid"

Barbara sit up and shook her head at Annabeth.

"No, she's really smart. Like you and me smart. Heck, I want to invite her to the Mathletes. That level of smart. Which leads to the question, why is she hanging with guys like Jordan and Jay?"

Annabeth stopped studying and thought for a moment, but shrugged after a couple of seconds, turning back to her book.

"I don't know"

"I asked her"

That caught her attention.

"And did she answer?"

"Yes. It's mostly because of Sirena"

That made Annabeth let go of her book and turned her chair to look at Barbara.

"The mermaid?"

Barbara looked weirdly to Annabeth, still playing with the rubber ball, and now lying on her back, with her head hanging from the bed.

"Mermaid? Anyway, yes, her. Sirena and Jodi have the same birthday date, May 8th. Sirena was new to school, so Jodi was more popular.They both set their birthday party to the same day, which was a Sunday. Like I said, Jodi was more... well known, so Sirena's invitations were mostly declined. Jodi knew about this and asked Sirena to change her party's date, maybe to Saturday, just so everyone could go to the both parties"

"Very nice of her"

Barbara nodded.

"She's a sweetheart, that's why is so confusing her friendship with those two idiots, but I'm getting there. Four days before the party, Sirena spread copies of a... fake picture of Jodi"

Annabeth got curious by Barbara's tone.

"Doing what?"

The other girl shook her head.

"Not telling you. It happened a year before you started in our school, so if you don't already know, I won't tell you. Let's just say it tainted Jodi's reputation, so everyone declined her invitation and accepted Sirena's"

Annabeth started to get angry at the mermaid again.

"So... that skýla ruined a girl's reputation and friendships just because she didn't want to change her party's date?"

Talk about a shallow girl. And cruel. Can we destroy her?

I'm considering it.

Barbara looked puzzled.

"What's a sky... skyla?"

"It's greek"

"That doesn't answer me"

"Just finish the tale"

Annabeth held the other girl's annoyed look, until she gave in.

"Fine. So, at that time, Jay was her neighbour, from two floors below. He went to her apartment to the party, just to find her crying because not even her closest friends showed up. So he left, summoned Jordan and they went to Sirena's party"