Chp 22 - Annabeth's POV

Annabeth was at her locker when Percy sent her a text.

P: Hey, Wise Girl ;)

A: Hey, Seaweed Brain

P: Just wanted to let you know, Peter and the mermaid are over

A: You broke up with her?

P: Yes, but I didn't drown her. I don't have my powers here to make it look like an accident

A: Hahahaha, ok, Percy

P: Love you

A: Love you too

Is he always like this?

Like what?

Saying that he loves you.

Why wouldn't he?

I don't know, some guys refuse to say they like you, I don't know why.

Percy has a loving mother, a very sweet and caring woman, so words like 'I love you' or 'I miss you' are not foreigner for him.

You're really happy now that the mermaid is long gone, right?

You liked this nickname.

I think skýla is better, but yes, it's funny. And I can feel how happy you're with this info.

So how does this works?

What do you mean?

You feel what I feel?

I thought we already estabilished that.

Not physical sensations, emotional ones.

That's... a little more complicated. Let me see if I can explain this. It's like we're atuned. Imagine you give a gift to someone, when they open it, you can say if they like it or no, doesn't matter if they try to play it cool, you can say it, it's written all over their faces. Most of the cases, that's how it feels for me. I guess for both of us.

You mean when I can easily say if you like something or not.

Right. Since we are only minds comunicating, we can't see each other's faces to read it. But, I don't know, since we're two minds inside just one body, it's like we are in the same frequency. It's easy for me to know if you like something or if you hate it just by what you say about it, or the way you say it. Well, do you have someone that you only text 'hi' and they're asking 'what is wrong, why are you sad?'. For me it's my mom. Well, step mom for you.

For me it's Percy.

Figured. It's like that. It's easy to interpretate you, like I've known you all my life.

But you don't feel what I feel.

Wait, I'm not finished. I think if it's a emotion too strong, I start to THINK I feel it on my own. Like when someone talks about something with so much distaste that you start to think you don't like that either? Even if you never tasted? I think that if I have a emotion too strong, you must be able to feel it by your own. And if we have the same opinion about something...

Like that skýla...

Exactly, it's like it duplicates.

Got it.

But...

There's a but?

There's an exception. Your boyfriend. I don't like Peter, you know I don't. But you can't feel it. None. Because you love your boyfriend so much that's like you have a shield against anything bad about him. And he makes you feel things so strong that I can feel it. It's not like I love your boyfriend or something like this. I think it's like... a song. When someone is down, and they make a music so sad, but so sad, that anyone who hear it can almost feel the pain he was feeling when he wrote it, doesn't matter how happy you're before listening to that song. Remember when you thought your boyfriend had another girlfriend? You were so sad, so heartbroken, that I could feel how much that idea hurt you, even if I couldn't care less if Peter or Percy had a girlfriend. It wasn't my feeling, but I could feel it. The same thing when you saw and kissed him that first time. You're so happy that I was almost feeling happy for you, if not for the fact that you're kissing a guy that I didn't like. But I couldn't hate him as much as I wanted to, because I was being overwhelmed by your love for him. It was like trying to keep a flame lit when someone is trying to blow it.

"Annie!"

Annabeth cringed at that.

Why do you hate Annie so much?

I have my own reasons.

Barbara caught up with her.

"Hey, have you heard?"

"About what?"

"Peter and Sirena. He broke up with her"

Wow, that was quick.

That was gossip, it spreads quicker than greek fire.

"Why should I care?"

"Because now she's in a mood. Can you guess who is the unlucky one she'll use to take her anger out?"

Let me guess, us?

You guessed right. I told you she hated me.

"Thanks for the warning, Barbara. I'll deal with her"

You sound... calm about it. Actually, almost excited.

I fought monsters, spirits, gods and goddesses, titans, giants and primordials. I think I can hold my own against her.

You don't know her.

I don't have to. If I did plans to face Arachne, Akhlys or Nyx that quick, I can deal with a mortal. Percy took revenge on Vanessa. I'll take mine on the mermaid.