A Parent Nightmare

Phillip walked back to Anne's room in disbelief it was like time just stopped and he was walking in slow motion, he took a shaky breath trying to compose himself before entering the room but he knows Anne is going to know something is wrong as soon as she sees him. He walks into the room trying to smile for Anne " how's Delilah" she asked happily Phillip sits fine next to her on the bed taking her hand " what is it" Anna asked her face instantly changing " well um " Phillip takes a deep breath " when the nurse did the checks on Delilah, she noticed something odd she she brings in a doctor and " his voice cracks trying not to cry " she has something wrong with her little heart" hearing those worlds broke Anne so instant tears and " w- what wrong" she managed to say " one of her valves don't open enough to get blood to her lungs and back to her heart so they rushed her to surgery" Anne was hyperventilating Phillip instantly warped her in his arms so tight " no no no no no" Anne screamed " I know baby I know but we've still got her okay she's still out miracle baby no mater what okay" Phillip held her face in his hands, Anna could see the tears falling " promise" Anne said in a whisper " I promise" Phillip placed a long gentle kissed on her forehead.

Waiting for news felt like a lifetime, Anne mind was in overdrive, ' what if I caused this?' ' how will this affect her life' will she be okay'. The couple sat in silence with their hands laced together. Four hours later the doctor in scrubs finally came into the room " how is she " Anne insanely asked " she's doing fine the surgery went smoothly she's now in intensive care still sedated " Anne sighed of relief Phillip kissed her temple " can we see her" the doctor nodded " you can but first I want to talk to you about what will happen next"

The doctor pulled up the chair and sat next to the bed " she's going to need at least another two operation as she grows up. As she grows it will become narrow again naturally but we'll keep an eye on her" he tried to rescue the couple " she'll have regular appointments and scans to make sure it stays perfectly fine her whole life, this shouldn't expect on her life at all she can run around all she wants but will get puffed out that's all" it was a lot of information for the couple to process" I know it's a lot right now but don't worry we'll go through this all again" he added " is it something I caused when I was pregnant with her?" Anne asked Phillip instantly looked at her " certainly not babies are born with congenital heart issues more then you realise, but please if you have any worries at all please ask we're here to help no matter if it's a small question, now I'll get a nurse to take you to her she's beautiful by the way" the doctor said to give them some good news Anne blushed " thank you doctor " Phillip said Anna said shaking his hand before he left.

" WD is outside," Phillip said looking at his phone " do you want me to go and get him," he asked " please the nurse will be a little while I think," Anne said tiredly. Phillip soon walked into the room with WD " Phillip just told me" he gave his sister a hug trying to comfort and wanting to protect her " how are you really" he asked sitting next to her on the bed with Phillip on the other side " tired both physically and emotionally" Anne said looking down " no doubt PT, charity and Lettie are going to be on the next flight out" Anne felt somewhat comforted knowing her best friends will soon be here " right come on we're getting a wheelchair and going to see Delilah" WD said strongly.

Phillip pushes the chair through the hospital, Anna rested her hand on top of Phillips that was on her shoulder. They arrived at the door of intensive care stopping at the door while they wait for someone to let them in Anne's heart was bending at a million miles an hour Phillip moved to be in front of Anne he crouched on his knees being the same level as Anne " you ready sweet? There will be tubes and a lot of beeping" Phillip said not wanting to scare her but he needed to warn her Anne, she nodded Phillip kissed her forehead. Before pressing the buzzer. A nurse soon came to the door and showed them to their daughter. When they got to her incubator, Anne couldn't believe how small she looked, tubes and wires covered her little body with a surgical dressing covering her chest " she's beautiful" Anne said quietly not knowing if she can talk full volume " just like her mother" Phillip warped his arms loosely kissing the top of her head " you can put your hand in if you want to through the doors" the nurse said soothingly.

Anna her hand in slowly trying to avoid the worries and hurting the small baby, " hi rainbow I'm your momma nice to meet you" Phillip stood behind Anne letting her have this moment  when Delilah graves Anne's little finger tears innately feel even though she had no more reset to cry. Phillip started to get emotional seeing the two interact, WD put his hand on his shoulder and nodded his head trying to tell Phillip ' it's okay'. After all day with their daughter it was time for Anne to be discharged. She didn't want to leave without Delilah, but she had no choice they didn't have room in the relative house it extra beds for them to stay " come on sweetheart we've got to go back home" Phillip said not wanting to go without his daughter who was still saddened " I don't want to " Anne said " I don't either we'll be back first thing tomorrow morning" Anne finally nodded.

The nurse took their phone number in case anything happens they said bye to their daughter one last time before leaving. Anne clenched onto the little-stuffed bunny while quietly sobbing as they walked through the hospital corridors. Phillip blinked away as he was carrying the empty car seat, he had to be strong for Anne - he held onto Anne's had like his life depended on it WD had the hospital bag and Delilah's bag All he wants to do is to take this pain away from his little sister who's been through so much already.

Phillip helped Anne into the car kissing her forehead before closing the door " Mallory has already picked up noon" WD said " thank you" Phillip ran his hands through his hair " you okay ?" WD asked already knowing the truth " I don't know how I'm going to cope with this" once those words left his mouth he felt he flat guilty how all he thought about was himself and not Anne and their daughter " you'll do what you always do, you'll be strong for them both no matter what it takes" Phillip nodded knowing it the truth " I just can't protect them from this and it hurts me that I can't "Phillip's voice broke with emotion " I know man" WD brought Phillip into a ' man hug'.

" now get Anne home and please make sure she eats something don't matter if it's a whole bag of Cheetos " WD said to lighten the mood Phillip laughed " thank you" Phillip said " no need to thank me just look after her" he looked over Phillips' shoulder to Anne who rested her head on the window with the bunny still in her hand close to her chest " I will don't worry ".