Chapter 1. - Grand Entrance

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Ginger! You look bomb!" She cheered, her cheeks already flushed from either dancing or alcohol. Or perhaps, both. "And I see that you found yourself some arm-candy. Good on you!" She winked behind me at Ash, whose reaction I couldn't see. "Come, let me introduce you to a few people! It'll be fun!"

I highly doubted that, but I didn't feel the need to crush her fragile spirit so early on in the night. Usually, I reserved that until dawn, when Callie entered the crying phase of stupor.

"This is Richard! He's a photographer. He did that one shoot with the little shawl draped over my boobs. You know the one that was in Cosmo!" She chattered on, and I shook the middle aged, gracefully graying man's hand. "And this is Mike – he's a fellow model. You probably recognize him from-"

She went on, listing his work. The truth was, I didn't recognize him at all, and while my best friend clearly thought he was a stunner, he did very little to elevate my heart rate. "Very nice to meet you."

"Oh, and wait until you meet Josh! You will just love him, and-" Callie paused for dramatic effect. "-he is single!"

"Wonderful." I muttered sarcastically, and if she heard my remark, she just ignored it.

After about ten hours of excruciating handshakes and pretentious kisses on the cheeks from some European men that somehow found their way into London's house warming party, I was ready for my first of many shots. I wasn't much for going out, and Callie just managed to remind me exactly why I preferred the quiet company of books and microscopes.

"I think I'll get something to drink." I said, excusing myself.

"Do you want me to go with you?" Callie asked, but I could tell that she would rather stay and chat with the group of hot, young actors we were surrounded with.

I shook my head. "No, just enjoy yourself." I patted her arm, before heading over to the kitchen, where I ran into my other best friend for the first time tonight.

She was currently standing pushed against a counter, with her blonde guitarist's tongue down her throat. When she spotted me, she managed to untangle herself, and came up to give me a hug. "I'm so glad you came! Are you having fun?"

I faked a small smile. "Sure... Very nice house, though!"

London scrunched up her nose. "I know, I know." She whispered, learning closer so only I could hear her. "The party isn't really my thing either, but these people are actually really nice." I nodded. "Help yourself to the bar-" She pointed to the back end of her kitchen, where an actual bar stood, with an actual mixer behind it. "-Scott can whip up anything you'd like."

"Thanks."

"And Ging?" I turned back to look at my best friend, all glowing and smiles since she got together with her dream man. "Don't be shy to look around! There are lots of sexy men here." She winked, before bouncing back up to Lukas.

I sighed, and moved toward the bar, where I asked the bartender for a mean martini.

Someone's elbow brushed against my arm, nearly pushing it off the counter I was leaning against. I looked toward the man attached to it, only to find him grinning at me.

Oh. So this was his way of starting a conversation.

"So!" He went, nodding excitedly, while he continued his weird smirking. I supposed he would've been handsome, if it weren't for the bad manners and the fake ear splitting smile he was putting on. I also hated the baby blue polo he was wearing, with the collar popped. Popped! Like we were stuck in the early 2000s. I wasn't much of a fashion expert, but even I realized that was a no-no. "You gon' be a doctor, huh?"