9 : P U B L I C _ E N E M Y [3/5]

Connor opened his eyes and found himself in the garden once again. A gentle breeze brushed through the fall-colored trees as the android began to look for Amanda.
Soon enough, he could spot her sitting inside a boat on the lake surrounding the patio in the middle of the garden, holding a red parasol.

"Hello Connor." The woman greeted with a soft smile as he approached. "I thought you might enjoy a little cruise..." She gestured at him to enter. He carefully stepped inside the boat and sat down across from her. Connor gently pushed the boat away from the dock, grabbed the paddles and began to row slowly.

Amanda looked around. "I love this place." she smiled. "Everything is so calm and peaceful... Far from the noise of the world..." she turned to look at Connor. "Tell me, what have you discovered?"
The android stopped rowing and folded his hands. "I found two deviants at the Eden Club... I hoped to learn something, but... they managed to escape..."
"That's too bad..." Amanda responded, the tiniest hint of disappointment on her face. "You seemed so close to stopping them."
Connor grabbed the paddles and started rowing once again.

"You seem... lost, Connor." The woman tilted her head slightly. "Lost, and perturbed."

He looked down

He looked down. "I thought I knew what I had to do... But now I realize it's not that simple..."

"You had your gun trained on those deviants at the Eden Club."
Connor could see the moment replaying in his head.
"Why didn't you shoot?" Amanda inquired.

Again, the android hung his head low

Again, the android hung his head low. "I don't know..." He shook his head slightly before looking back at the woman in front of him. "I don't know."
Both of them paused for a moment.
"If your investigation doesn't make progress soon, I may have to replace you, Connor..." She informed him with a serious tone.
"I know I will succeed." He leaned in slightly. "All I need is time."

Suddenly, a distant thunder-like rumbling could be heard, and Amanda looked around. "Something's happening... Something serious."She looked into Connor's eyes. "Hurry, Connor. Time is running out."

"

"The fuck is this plastic asshat doing here?" Gavin suddenly spoke up.
"He was there when it happened." You explained in annoyance.
"Hey!" Fowler yelled. "Shut it, both of you!"
He sighed, before continuing. "Now, does one of you wanna explain to me what happened? One at a time?"
"I was-"
"She hit me in the fucking face, that's what happened!" Reed cut you off, and you glared at him angrily.
"I only hit you because you insulted me after you wouldn't stop hitting on me!"
Fowler let out another sigh and touched his temples in frustration.
"Jesus Christ... Both of you need to get your damn act together! You're behaving like kids! I don't give a damn how you act outside of work, but don't do this kind of shit in here! And for the love of god, just tell me what happened, truthfully!"
"I was just gonna grab some coffee and Reed kept making moves on me in the break room."
"Pfft..." Gavin scoffed, crossing his arms.
You took a deep breath and glanced at Connor. To your surprise, his eyes were closed and his LED was whirling yellow... But despite that, you still actually found his presence to be somewhat calming, and were sure he would open his eyes if you'd call for him.
"... He wouldn't back down even after I told him no numerous times. Then, Connor came to help and Gavin said something I found to be very insulting. I was so fed up with the situation... I guess I just lost it... I do apologize, Jeffrey."
The Captain glanced at Gavin, expecting him to comment, but he only looked away, his arms still crossed.
"Alright. Well, sorry to say, but I'm gonna have to add this your disciplinary folders."
You looked at the ground. "I... I understand."
"Are you serious?" Gavin spoke up. "I-"
"Hold that damn thought, Reed." Fowler cut him off, looking out of his office with a puzzled look.
Something strange was going on... An uncomfortable shower ran down your back. Almost eerily, all phones began ringing, including Fowler's, officers were running about and there was a lot of loud talking.
"What the hell is going on?" you wondered.

Eventually, the Captain picked up his phone. "... Yeah?" he answered, confused.

"We interrupt our scheduled programming to bring you these images, which have just been broadcast on Detroit's city-wide news channel..." the TV on a shelf behind you suddenly sounded, and Jeffrey slowly put the phone back down.
"What the..." he furrowed his brows.

 At the same time, Connor opened his eyes and looked around, before turning his attention to the television as well.
For a moment you were genuinely glad and relieved to see him awake, until your mouth fell open in shock at the breaking news report that was showing.

"...A group of androids infiltrated the Stratford Tower and hacked into the broadcasting system of local news network Channel 16."

Fowler switched through the channels.

"What looks like an android without its skin listed a series of requests and demanded equal rights for androids..."

"...The operation was covert and resulted in no casualties. These events took place just a few feet from this studio. But nobody was alerted to the danger."

"...What could be interpreted as a peaceful declaration, but is in fact a spine-chilling list of demands, and-"

"Is this an isolated accident... or a sign that technology has become a threat to all of us? After what happened today, can we still trust our machines?"

"...And it begs the question as to the identity of this android. Are we dealing with an isolated individual or an organized group?"

All four of you turned around to look at each other.
"Holy shit..." you commented quietly.
"(Y/N)." the Captain spoke up. "Grab Hank and get on it." You responded with a nod and walked out of the office quickly with Connor close behind, leaving Gavin by himself.

Hank got up from his chair as soon as he saw you march towards him.
He simply nodded affirmingly. "Let's go."