Chapter Ten

I ran down the steps of the castle, my armor clinking with every move. I saw a horse across the courtyard, I stalked towards it and in one swift movement pulled myself up. I placed my feet in the stirrups and squeezed tightly. The horse jolted into action, it sped out of the gates and into the woods. The rush was immense, the wind and rain hitting my face as I rode through the dark mess of trees and roots. I had to get home, I had to warn them. He's coming! 

"Come on!" I cried bring the reigns down onto his neck. It was a beautiful creature, muscly, tall and jet black. It's eyes were bright green but one had a sort of milky glaze over it. As I rode through the forest I felt the pure energy around me surge through my bones, lighting up every corner of my body. It was incredible, I felt the horses power and the glimmer of the sun barely shining through the clouds and rain.  I felt the patterns the raindrops made on my skin, each one left a trail of blazing awareness. It was like having popping candy run through my system instead of blood. The steady beat of the horses hooves set my mind into a steady rhythm. I was going to get back, tell my mother, we were going to make my father see sense, rescue Ryan, cure Angelina, happily ever after. I repeated it over and over again in my head, forcing myself to believe it when in truth I didn't really know where I was going, whether I was heading the right way, whether I was riding towards home. My horse came to a sudden stop in a deep part of the forest. The trees around me were dark green and looked as though they went on forever. I had no water for the horse so I let it eat the various trees around us. It was getting later and later, the sky darker and darker.. I was wondering if I'd ever get home. I sat down on the ground under a tree: I was hoping to get some rest but with the night it had become, rest was not likely. The wind was picking up and it was severely cold with each breath it would grate across my skin like a razor. I tucked my knees into my chest and rested my head on me knees, there was no warmth left in me but I thought I might as well get comfortable. I pulled my undershirt up over my chin and snuggled into the trunk of the tree. I closed my eyes and started to fall, fall into my imaginary world. I opened my eyes and I was sitting in a wide-open field with flowers of every colour around me. I turned my head to the right and saw a body lying next to me. I reached out to touch the black shirt it was wearing, curious as to who I'd be lying with, but before I could touch them, they turned around. I screamed and scuttled backwards, away from the body. The face of the person was mangled and ripped apart. Bits of its face and eye peeling and hanging off, flies buzzing around exposed parts of muscle and bone. A deep gash over the top of one eye was oozing pus and I could see the terrified expression on their face. 

"Jess, help me! PLEASE!" the creature screamed. I just turned and fled the scene, there was no way I was going to stay in the presence of what ever the hell that was! I was running and running but then my feet collapsed underneath me. I smashed my face against the floor and everything went black. 

I jolted awake yet again! It seemed there was no way I could sit and sleep without having some sort of nightmare or being awoken. I brushed the hair out of my face and forced my aching limbs to work and support me. I walked, shakily, towards the horse and stroked its mane, it really was a beautiful creature and with every stroke I felt closer to him. Then I heard a voice. 

"I see your sadness" I jumped and looked around. 

"Where are you?" I said aloud

"Right here" the voice replied. I turned around and looked right at the horse, right into his eyes. The big, brown, doe eyes held sympathy. 

"Is that you...inside my head" I said to the horse, I felt stupid but I thought perhaps there was a chance? The horse snorted and nodded his head, I smiled. "My sadness...is internal, how do you see it?" 

"When you think nobody's looking. You can see it on the outside when you think nobody's there. Well I'm here and I see" I looked away from the horses eyes and focused them on the ground,