Chapter Seven

I got up, grabbing the book and putting it under my arm,  and tried to make my way back through the maze of book-cases.  When I go back to the tree what I saw wasn't what I expected. Damon had his hand on Callum's shoulder and it looked as though he was comforting him. I didn't want to trespass so I listened instead. 

"Look it gets easier, I promise" Damon said

"At least yours came back to you Angelina might not get up, she might not ever laugh or hug or kiss me ever again!" Callum burst. 

"You don't think I went through all of that!? I thought Vanessie was dead, or at least as good as. Even if she wasn't dead she was so in love with bloody Marcus Taylor she probably wouldn't notice me ever again!" 

Callum looked up at Damon, "Do you think she'll be okay?"

"No, I know she'll be okay" Damon said looking right into Callum's eyes. He sounded so solid, so sure I almost believed him but Angelina was counting on me and Callum to help her. In my mind she was as good as dead. I walked out from the shelves and down down hard on the sofa next to Damon. 

"What are WE supposed to do to help her!? What can we even do? We're just kids!" 

Callum and Damon both looked at me in disbelief although Damon's expression was sort of amused?

"Who invited Captain Killjoy!?" Damon said. 

For the first time in what seemed like a long while Callum smiled, a warm genuine smile. Just seeing him smile gave me hope, maybe Callum's love for Angelina would spur him on no matter what gets in our way. Maybe we wouldn't be so helpless. Mrs Havisham burst into the library, my mother hot on her tail. They were both struggling with a large pile of books. They slammed them down on a desk across the room from us. Me and Callum jumped up to see what the books were, Damon put his arm around my mothers' waist. He looked straight at me as he did, I couldn't decide whether he was assuring me he could look after my mother or trying to prove to me he could. Either way I didn't like it, I threw him a scowl and turned to the books my mother and Mrs. Havisham had brought. Mrs. Havisham took the biggest book on the pile and hauled it open. The spine itself was the length of my arm, we all gasped and spluttered as she laid the opened side of the book down, spraying dust everywhere. Mrs Havisham began to wave her hands over the open book, whispering incantations under her breath. Suddenly out of the book, an image of the world sprung off the page and into mid-air like a holographic picture. 

"We can now control this map at will and at any time. I've put a symbol on your wrists all you have to do to activate this image is focus on the symbol on your wrist and think of the words 'Show me the way'. You can zoom into the countries, set routes and track people, anything you wish!" I circled the map, 

"So we can find anyone we want?" 

"As long as you have the necessary connection to that person or thing" Mrs. Havisham replied. 

"What do you mean?" 

"Well witches like me, your mother and Damon can find pretty much anything but you and Callum may have a harder time focusing on less meaningful things at a time like this" 

"So I can find Ryan!?" 

"Not necessarily, knowing Marcus and Ruby, caution will be their number one priority.  A cloaking spell will probably have been placed on Marcus and Ryan but you may be able to find Ruby? Even a strong education with anger may work?" 

I nodded, "So how..." that was as far as I got before my mother cut me off, 

"Why do you have this book?" I looked round and my mother was holding the book I found. I bit my lip,