Chapter 37

Adeline POV

"Oh my god!!!! I am so happy for you!!" Kate exclaims so loudly that the whole coffee shop is looking at us. "Holy crap he did a great job with the ring!"

"I know," I smile staring at it. It was the day after Kasen had proposed and I had just told Kate.

"You guys are so perfect together. Seriously I'm so happy you have each other," she beams.

"He's the greatest. But I do have some other news to tell you..." I trail off.

She immediately frowns, "what?"

"Rose called me...while she was hooking up with Axel..."

Kate's mouth drops before her face turns bright red and her eyes flash of anger.

I continue, "I don't care about who he's with...I really don't, and I don't expect anything from him. I'm more worried about how messed up she sounded when she called...she's spiraling, Kate."

Kate scoffs, "she's dead in my book. I can't believe she did that. I never thought she'd act like this. Why is she being this way?"

I shake my head, "it's not her, it's the alcohol and drugs. This isn't Rose."

Kate continues to just get mad so I change the subject, "anyways....are Hans and you coming over on Christmas? And we need to plan New Years!"

"Hans and I have to spend Christmas Eve with his family and Christmas with mine, but we were thinking we could come Christmas night for some dessert and coffee? And yes New Years! Where should we go?!"

I chuckle at her enthusiasm for New Years, she's always loved to have fun and adventure.

"That sounds great for Christmas. Lydia, Jack, Kasen, and I are going to go to church in the morning then do presents and an early dinner, so dessert and coffee are perfect. Should we do something tropical or something wintery for New Years?"

We both look at each other with big grins when I ask the question before both blurting, "wintery!"

Kate and I both have always loved the cold and the snow. Her family always took us to their place in Aspen, Colorado after Christmas during our high school winter breaks. Her parents would even pay for me to go since I didn't have the money. I never wanted her family to think I was using them, so during the vacation, I would make sure to do the house chores and cook and things, much to their dismay. They knew I wasn't using them.

"Hans said New Years is on him, as a Christmas gift to us all. He said we should go all out. Isn't it insane the money these guys make?!" Kate says.

I laugh uncomfortably, I've never been comfortable with talk about money. My parents worked extremely hard to keep a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, and food on our table. When they passed, they left what little they had left to me, their only child. I had that in the bank as a security blanket for if I ever needed it. It wasn't much, but it would be able to provide an apartment and food for about a year. Kasen has told me what a huge amount of money the NHL pays him, and he always takes care of me. I've just lately gotten somewhat okay with it. I just don't want him to ever think I'm using him.

"Well you know me, I'll still try to find the best deals." I half joke and Kate smiles.

"How about I do the New Years planning so you don't have to worry." Kate offers.

I gratefully accept, "and don't even think about telling me the total cost Kate! I don't want to know!"

We giggle together. I can't help but wonder how much Hans makes. The Capitals are a talented team with huge, skilled players. I can't help but imagine the amount of money they pay the players.

As if Kate could read my mind she laughs before lowering her voice, "he makes like 7.5 million a year, it's insane."

"Well, if I could do what I loved and make that amount of money, I would!" I try to lighten the conversation.

Kate starts filling me in on how she loves Hans and how amazing he is, they put in an offer on the place next to Kasen and I's place. As she's talking about him, I look down to my ringing phone to see Hans calling me.

I smile, "speak of the devil," and show her the caller I.D. before answering (not on speaker), "hello?"

"Hey Addy, it's Hans. What's up?"

"Well I'm actually out with our girl right now."

"Okay so I'm about to ask you something serious and I need you to respond super casually. Pretend I'm saying something about Kasen okay?"

"Okay..."

"Will you come ring shopping with me? I've tried to go by myself and it's just not working."

I have to close my eyes and remind myself to act cool, "of course, I know for a fact what Kasen wants."

"Okay great, let's go tomorrow."

"Okay, sounds good. I know exactly where we can find him that gift."

Kate looks at me, "What was that about?"

"He wants to get Kasen the perfect gift. He needs my help," I roll my eyes jokingly.

I look down hiding my excitement at the real reason he called.