Chapter 26

*One Week Later

Adeline POV

"Hello?" I answer the phone breathlessly, from my morning run. Well, morning speed walk, I'm worried about the baby so I'm speed walking now instead of running.

"Adeline, it's Dr. Miller how are you?"

"Hold on one second, Dr. Miller!" I put the phone on speaker and arrive in Kasen's penthouse.

"Okay go ahead," I wave Kasen over to come listen.

"We have the results here, would you like to know them now?"

"Yes," I take a deep breath.

"Okay...it says not a match."

My heart drops and I start crying again, damn these hormones.

"Okay thanks Dr. Miller. We will call to schedule our next appointment," Kasen takes the phone and hangs up.

I drop to the floor, holding my stomach. "No, no, no...babe I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry!"

"Adeline, look at me," I squat down next to her and bring her face up to look at mine.

"I love you, I love this baby. How many times do I need to tell you that I don't care if this child is his. I am here, and I'm not going anywhere. This is my baby too, no matter what the blood test says."

"I know, I'm sorry," I say between sobs, "it's just now Axel will have to be a part of our lives and I just wanted it to be yours, and.." I trail off as I start crying again.

Kasen picks me up, like I weigh nothing, and brings me to the couch, holding me, and rocking me till I calm down.

In his warm, strong embrace I fall asleep.

*The Next Day

After my session of dry heaving this morning, I finally am all done getting ready, and arrive at work.

Sarah runs up to me, "hey girl! You looking fab this morning!" She gives me a hug.

Sarah's become a very close friend of mine, but Kasen and I don't want to tell anyone besides our best friends. We want to make it out of the first semester, and make sure it's a healthy pregnancy before announcing it. Sarah's come with me to a lot of the games, and we've grown close.

"That's what happens when you get a good lay," I wink joking around.

"I wouldn't know about that, it's been way too long!" Sarah kids.

I get to my desk and frown when I see Axel still hasn't called me back, I've left 4 voicemails saying I need to talk. But in this moment, pregnancy hormones got the best of me, so I texted him:

Me: Hey, I'm pregnant, you're the biological father. In case you wanted to know. But I've got everything handled. Don't worry bout it. Bye.

Axel: WHAT?!?! I'm going to catch the next flight out. You still at the same place?

Me: Nope. I've been staying with Kasen. Don't want you coming to his place. You tell me where to meet you.

Axel: you have no idea how furious I am right now. I'll text you when I have hotel info.

'Oh shit,' I think to myself before sending a text to Kasen.

Me: Hey I know this is a lot to ask, but can you come with me to meet Axel tonight? He's pissed and is headed to D.C. now...

Kasen: of course babe, wouldn't let you face him alone anyways. Love you, txt later.

Me: love you too! Shoot straight!

Kasen: you and your lame jokes, I hope our baby doesn't get your sense of humor.

Me: HAHA says the man who doesn't laugh at 'The Office'!

Kasen: yeah because he's not funny! He's annoying!

I roll my eyes at his last text and get to work.