Chapter 27

Adeline POV

"Sir, Ma'am," I gently wake the parents who are asleep in the waiting room. I smile softly before I speak again, "Darren is out of surgery and doing well. Once he's awake you guys are welcome to go back."

The couple look at each other excitedly and thank me. I start to walk away and I hear the woman open her phone and say "hey, Darren's awake! He needs his Dad when he wakes up...can you get down here?"

I turn back around and wait till she's off the phone. I'm probably going to get fired for this but whatever. I sit down next to her and say, "can I ask you something? It's kind of personal?"

She looks at me confused but agrees.

"Obviously, you two are a couple, but you're not Darren's father?" I tilt my head to the side.

They seem a mix of livid and confused, understandably, so I continue, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry...it's just..I'm dating someone, whose like the love of my life...but I'm pregnant with the man I dated before baby."

I'm so getting fired.

The couples angry faces soften. The woman speaks, "I was in the same situation as you a long time ago, and believe me when I say, it's going to be a challenge, but everything will work out for the best."

"I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't be invading in your privacy. I don't know what came over me." I start to walk away before the man speaks. "Wait!"

I turn around and he continues, "I love Darren as if he's my own child. I've never once looked at him as if he wasn't. If the man that you're seeing now is willing to stick around, that means he thinks the same."

I smile at his kind words and thank them.

A sense of relief and excitement washes over me.

*Later That Night

My palms are sweating as I walk into the lobby of The Westin. Kasen grabs my hand and squeezes it, giving me a tiny bit of reassurance. I see Axel out of the corner of my eye and try to run, but Kasen is already two steps ahead of me, and grabs me before I can. I look at him and whisper, "damn you for knowing me so well." 

Kasen chuckles, "come on baby, you can do this."

"Only cause you're by my side," I grin at him.

"And I always will be baby," he promises.

"Heyyyyyyyy Axel," I greet him awkwardly.

"Why the fuck did you bring him?" He says.

"Seriously, I fucking told you you're gonna be a dad and that's the first fucking thing you say to me?" I'm angry as hell now.

"WELL, WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO THINK? ARE YOU SURE IT'S NOT HIS?!?!"

Axel is up in my face and he reeks of alcohol.

"Axel, he's here because I asked him to be. Me and him are seriously together now, and he will be in this child's life just as much as either of us will be!"

"OVER MY DEAD BODY!" Axel screams, an centimeter away from my face.

"That can easily be arranged if you don't back the fuck away from her, right now." Kasen steps in, pushing me behind him. I make a mental note to be sure I show him how hot his protectiveness is later.

"Axel, do you want to talk or are you going to be a drunk asshole?" I shoot at him.

He stops and sits down.

Kasen and I sit down, and Kasen makes sure to hold me tightly and close to him. 'Oh boy, here it goes.'