chapter 17: the mother-in-law

"Yoojung-ah! Eomma is here!"

A chubby jovial ahjumma walked into their apartment that very night, carrying two huge bags filled with containers of banchan and whatnot. Jimin walked out of the room, looking dishevelled as he had not bathed ever since he had reached home and was busy sitting beside Yoojung, sponging her forehead with a wet towel.

"Jimin-ah!" The ahjumma grinned, before rushing froward and hugging Jimin tightly.

Jimin smiled. "Eomeonim!"

The lady was none other than Yoojung's mom. Yoojung had brought Jimin to visit her parents at their house a while ago and they had fallen for him long before that through the show. Yoojung's dad often called him out for meals and drinks and Jimin gladly accepted, because what a jolly man he was. Yoojung's mom showed more affection for him in terms of food, often stopping by their house to drop off banchans. Today was the day the Yoojung had fallen sick and so happened to be the day that Yoojung's mom decided to drop by.

Yoojung's mom looked at Jimin carefully. "Ya! I haven't seen you since last week, why do you look so messy?" She turned Jimin around.

Jimin frowned. "It's Yoojung. She's sick today so I was busy taking care of her and didn't get a chance to wash up."

Yoojung's mom's eyes widened. "Yoojung's what?!" She didn't have time to wait for Jimin's reply as she rushed into the room to find Yoojung lying on the bed, semi-conscious. "Yoojung-ah! My baby!"

Yoojung looked up, her eyes half-open. "Oh-? Eomma." She smiled slightly.

"What on earth happened to you!"

"I ate chickpeas..."

"You ate chickpeas?!" Yoojung's mom turned around to face Jimin, a stern expression on her face. "You fed my baby chickpeas?!"

Jimin's eyes widened in shock.

"No, eomma! I ate it by accident."

Yoojung's mom's expression softened as she took a seat next to Yoojung. "Do you need eomna to stay here and take care of you?"

Yoojung mustered up some energy to smile at her mom. "No, it's fine. I'll just rest for a couple of days and I'll be back in good shape."

Her mom frowned. "You sure?"

"Mmhmm."

"Alright then, I'll just stay for awhile more. I think Jimin needs to take a shower. He looks like a wreck."

Yoojung and her mom turn around to see Jimin standing at the entrance of the room, indeed looking like he hadn't bathed for a couple of days. They laughed.

After Jimin had taken a shower and Yoojung's mom had cooked some porridge for Yoojung, Yoojung's mom finally left. Jimin fed Yoojung some porridge. He sat by Yoojung's bed, holding her hand and changing the towel on her forehead, until she fell asleep.

Then he slipped into the bed right beside her and finally, after a long day, he went to bed.