chapter 16: food allergy

"Yoojung-ah, are you alright? Yoojung-ah!"

Jimin laid Yoojung down on their bed when they reached the apartment. He looked down at her with a concerned expression on his face, wiping off her cold sweat with a towel and putting his hand on her forehead. "Are you cold? Or warm?"

Yoojung smiled at Jimin weakly. "I don't know what is wrong..."

Jimin frowned and rushed to a nearby cupboard and pulled open the top drawer. He ransacked the drawer until he found what he had been looking for - a thermometer. He rushed back to the bed and shoved the thermometer into Yoojung's mouth.

"Please be alright, please be alright..." Jimin muttered under his breath, clutching on to Yoojung's hand tightly and holding it to his head as he sat on a small chair at the side of the bed.

A while later, the thermometer beeped. Jimin looked up, took out the thermometer from Yoojung's mouth and exclaimed loudly when he saw the temperature on the thermometer. "39.8 degrees?!"Jimin jumped up from his chair. "You need to go to the hospital now!"

Yoojung grabbed onto Jimin's hand before he could run out of the room to grab his phone. "Oppa, it's alright. It's just an allergic reaction."

Jimin turned around and frowned at Yoojung. "Allergic reaction? What kind of allergic reaction will make you like this! Only stingray, bananas and chickpeas..."

Yoojung pursed her lips and nodded her head. "Chickpeas."

Jimin's eyes widened. "Chickpeas?!" He frowned and sat down on the bed next to her. "There were chickpeas in the cookies Seungyeon gave me?!"

Yoojung's eyes widened. So... it was her afterall. Han Seungyeon - her childhood best friend. The girl who was pretty, popular and well-liked by everyone. The one who invited her to her house every weekend to make chickpea chocolate chip cookies... and even started helping her make chickpea chocolate chip cookies without the chickpeas, that tasted similar to the chickpea-added ones, when she had developed an allergy.

No wonder those cookies tasted so familiar. Those cookies were literally what she ate every weekend in her childhood. They were so tasty, yet they held so much memories between Seungyeon and Yoojung. Why didn't she recognise the taste? If she had, she wouldn't have been in this state now. She would have already been happily practising for her JYP audition the following Saturday with her boyfriend. Or would she not? Seungyeon... how did Jimin even know her? Well, she should have pre-empted that as well - she was a dance student and Jimin was a dance teacher. How stupid had she been?

"You alright, Yoojung?" Jimin's concerned face appeared in her vision, snapping Yoojung back to reality.

No, I'm not, Yoojung thought, but she managed a smile. "Yes, oppa. Don't worry about me. Seungyeon probably didn't know I had a chickpea allergy and... those cookies weren't even meant for me anyway."

But Yoojung knew better. Seungyeon, that witch, was capable of anything.