Kyoraku x Ukitake

(I have hit a block in my Homestuck book so I decided to start a new book. Smart. But I don't care. Also I can't get the long 'o' accent mark so just pretend it's in their names.)

The fresh air wavers through the garden. Delicate, colourful flowers adorn the ground and walls. Vines creep and twist up the latticework.

White hair cascades down into the rich, churned earth. With a sigh, it is flicked over a strong shoulder, but soon falls back to the dirt as Ukitake Jūshiro coughs. The sigh wasn't a good idea. His rough cough cuts through the sharp morning air.

It wasn't getting better. Kido relieves the pain. Tea soothes his hoarse throat. But he knows.

The blood will never end. Not until he is dead. And he doesn't get enough rest, more of which could prolong his life. His painful, bloody life.

"Jūshiro." A voice interrupts him as he continues to plant the small flowers. "You shouldn't be out while it's so cold. It only makes your cough worse, y'know." The voice drawls, as if the person could care less.

Jūshiro knew better. He turns with a weak smile. "I know. But the blossoms were calling me. This is one of my favorite seasons." Indeed, the cherry blossoms filled the trees around the garden, plump and graceful. Ready to open, but they hesitate on the branches.

Kyoraku Shunsui watches sadly as Jūshiro flicks the hair behind his shoulder once more, stifling another cough.

Jūshiro focuses on his gardening, folding the earth around the roots of the violets. Dirt covers his bare hands. It was satisfying, to be so close to the world, to touch and smell the beauty of the spring air. Flowers bloom all around him, their smell sweetening the air. His white hair was still attempting- and succeeding- to spill into the dirt.

Then a pair of hands pulls back the hair, a sigh escaping the brunet behind him. "Well, I know you won't take it easy, but could you at least take a break? You work too hard." His voice was gentle, with an air of wistful sadness.

Jūshiro nods, and lets Shunsui guide him to a small stone bench. "It's getting worse. You can tell, can't you?"

"Yeah. I can hear." Shunsui tucks a long, white strand of hair behind Jūshiro's ear. "I just wish you would relax more. It might help."

"I'll die someday anyway. Why take it easy? I've come so far." A whisper escapes him as he gazes into the garden. His eyes were glazed, and weary.

"Yeah, you've come a long way. So you should enjoy it." Shunsui wraps an arm around his friend's shoulders. "There are people who worry about you. You should take it a little easier, at least for them."

"And for you?"

Shunsui smiles, continuing to stare at the captain beside him. "And for me."

Jūshiro smiles with him, looking away. "I guess I should take it a bit easier then, for the people who care."

With a sigh of relief, Shunsui fails to notice the dusting of pink on his friend's face.

For you, Jūshiro sighs. Only for you.