Interview with a Nanny

Start from the beginning

I may just have to dig up his old phone number.

"We need to worry about Lara?" I said.

"What's wrong with her?" Adam questioned.

"She should be in school, some form of therapy for her trauma, not in her room all day", I said.

"She's dealing with her shit the best way she knows how to. Don't push her, love. When she needs us she'll come to us. Right now her major concern is her face healing up. It's not like she can can just walk down the street without people staring and school is just out of the question. Child Services would be called so quick it would give us whiplash", he said.

"We should do something as a family like a movie night or game night", I suggested.

"Because Monopoly brings people together", Adam laughed. Alma came back into the room and handed me a Sprite soda.

"Thank you", I said is she laid back down on my lap.

"There's a lady at the front door", Alma said starting the movie back up.

"Were you planning on having a guest today?" I said turning to face Adam.

"Crap, I forgot. The nanny interview. I'll call Thomas and tell him to have her reschedule with Dani".

"We can do it now. It's not like I can't walk down the stairs, and it's rare to catch us both doing nothing", I said standing up. I knelt down to Alma's eye level,"Are you good here, baby?" I asked. I didn't matter right now she was too into her movie.

I'll take that as a yes.

I grabbed the baby monitor off of my nightstand and the notebook for the questions for the interview. We started to walk towards Adams office," Maybe the study?"

"What's wrong with my office?" He said.

Not wanting to offend him I stayed up on my tippy toes and wrap my arms around his neck pulling him in close to me,"Your office can be...well..."

"What?" He said resting his hand on firmly on my ass.

"Intimidating?" I said not wanting to hurt his feelings.

"What? No. I have Alma's picture's up and her little replicate desk of mine---"

"A huge blood stain in front of your desk", I said remembering that night. I was five months pregnant and Adam brought one of his business partners home drunk. Adam wanted him to sleep it off in one of the guest bedrooms. Only to find him ransacking his office. Long story short, Adam found him and put two bullets in his head.

"There's a carpet over it", Adam said. I gave him a dead look that said I wasn't playing.

"Fine", he said. I quickly gave him a kiss and he gave my butt a squeeze. He pulled out his phone,"I'll tell Thomas to bring her to the study".

We weren't really dress for interviewing. We both had on sweats, but it was Saturday.

We made our way in the study sliding the dark cherry wood doors back. Alma mostly did her homework in here. The main focus of the room was the long thirty-six person cherry wood table with plush executive black chairs. The sidewall had three large arched windows that started low to the ground but reached high to the ceiling. They let in warm inviting light. The chandelier dripped with the best cut diamonds and was made from white gold. There was a large stone fireplace just behind the head of the table with a family portrait hanging above that Celine had commissioned.

Adam, Alma and I.

We'll have to get another one now with Lara and the twins.

Adam and I sat down towards the middle of the table. I gave Adam the video baby monitor and started to settle in with my notes.