Episode 15~ Move On

'Randhir baba? Randhir Baba?'

A soft voice called Randhir and he stirred in his sleep. He shifted in place and saw Kaka looking keenly at him.

'Wake-up, Randhir Baba, your breakfast is ready.' He said politely. Randhir nodded and sat on the bed. As he rubbed his eyes, Kaka walked around the bed and opened the curtains. Randhir felt gentle warm sun rays and he opened his eyes. He turned his head and looked out of the window. Kaka smiled and asked him to get ready while he plates food for him. Randhir nodded and climbed down the bed.

Randhir was leaving for the US tonight and so, he decided to stay over at his home. Kaka was over-joyed and seeing him so happy made Randhir happy too.

Randhir brushed, showered and changed into his casuals. After he combed his hair he stepped out of the bathroom. He sniffed the strong aroma of Paratha and smiled. Ever since he had come, Kaka has begun to work over-enthusiastically.

Randhir walked into the dining room and found Kaka plating food for him. Kaka greeted him, and he greeted back. Just as he pulled the chair for himself there was a door-bell. Kaka asked him to start eating and he will get the door. Randhir nodded.

Randhir took a morsel when he heard a familiar feminine voice. He clenched his jaw tightly.

'Randhir, Randhir.'

Suddenly, he lost his appetite. Pushing the chair back, he got up. His food half eaten. He was about to leave when a woman entered the room. She looked at him and smiled. Randhir looked back. Renuka Saniyal, his mother, hadn't changed in these two years. The same pixie-cut hair, loose sleeveless white Shirt, tight black pants and even the pair of earrings were the same. She opened her arms and hurried to him. Randhir doesn't protest when she hugged him, also he doesn't hug her back.

Renuka had tears in her eyes, she hugged him tightly.

'Randhir, my son. I am so happy you came.' She said and with on hand, she held the back of his head tightly. Then, she parted and held his shoulders. She admired him with moist eyes.

'How are you, son?' She asked looking into his eyes. Randhir maintained the eye-contact, but his eyes were void of any tears.

'How are you, Mom? And your new family?' He asked bitterly. Renuka's expressions changed. She sighed letting go of his shoulders, momentarily she looked away and then back at him.

'Beta, I have come for you. The moment I came to know you are back I couldn't stop myself.' - She said seriously, after a pause she added, - 'let the bygones be bygones, please beta.' Her tone turned soft.

'I didn't call you here, you came here on your own. And' - Randhir took a step closer, - ' it's easy for you to say about the past but you will never know what I have gone through. Once you understand that, then we will talk.' He said angrily and turned around. He stopped in his tracks when she called him.

'Everyone makes mistakes, Randhir. But when someone is truly regretful you should forgive them.' - She sighed. 'I can't give back your past, Randhir. But please try and forgive me.' She said.

Randhir took a deep breath. Renuka stared at his back and then looked away. She turned around and closed her eyes letting tears fall. Slowly, Randhir turned around and looked at her. She wiped her tears and walked away. He felt slightly bad. Renuka had come with so much expectation and he spoiled her mood. Then, he thought about the times, as a kid, when she had disappointed him. That time, she hadn't felt bad then why should he? Randhir hardened his heart and turned away from her.

Kaka was upset watching Renuka walk out of the house. Once, she was gone Kaka asked Randhir to finish his breakfast. Randhir wanted to refuse but Kaka had the made food with so much love and excitement that he didn't have the heart to refuse him.