Episode 4~ The Engagement

Kishore knocked at Sanyukta's door.

'Come in.' She answered.

'Beta.' He stopped speaking on seeing Sanyukta at the dressing table. Dressed in beautiful Red and Golden Patiala suit she looked pretty. But she struggled with her Golden Jhumkas. Kishore shook his head and smiled. Sanyukta's gaze fell on her father's reflection and she frowned on seeing him smile.

'Papa?' She turned around, - 'Why are you smiling?' She asked

'I had always told you and your mother.' He walked up to her. He looked at her dangling Jhumka and smiled, - 'Learn some girl stuff also.' He pointed at his daughter's ear. Sanyukta smiled lowering her head.

'Nothing like that, Papa. This one is little tight.' She said.

'Waise, you can manage such big machines,' - Sanyukta's smile faded, - 'and the whole of Agarwal automobiles but you are struggling with a simply Jhumka.' He said lightly. Sanyukta forced a smile and tried to focus on her earrings.

'But, Beta. Why is your hair at the back?' He pointed towards her back. Sanyukta panicked little adjusting her hair on her back.

'Actually, Papa. Vidhushi got me this deep back dress.' She said avoiding her father's gaze. Kishore eyed her suspiciously. Sanyukta's eyes darted as she kept adjusting her hair and Dupatta that she placed opened on one side. Her hair neatly curled at the edges and half placed on her shoulder over the Dupatta and the rest at her back.

'But that is the latest fashion, na, Beta?' He said. Sanyukta nodded and looked at her father. She made a face and replied.

'But I don't like it...Not comfortable.'

Kishore nodded. He placed his hand on her shoulder and smiled. 'Okay, get ready soon.'

Sanyukta nodded. 'Ji, Papa. Just two minutes.'

Kishore had wanted to talk about the faulty machine and his daughter's reluctance to handle the issue but dropped the plan for now. Instead, he smiled and left.

After Kishore left, Sanyukta turned facing the mirror. As she wore her Jhumka her gaze fell on her hair that rested on her shoulder. She touched the edges all the while staring at her reflection. She pushed back her hair and moved her hand back pushing all her hair to one side. She has pinned her Dupatta, so she shifted it little and twisted her body slightly. A small sad smile appeared on her lips as she looked at her tattoo that peeked from behind the deep back of her dress.

After Randhir had left, and when the realization dawned on her that he won't come back she was angry, very angry. Then, she had decided to get rid of the Tattoo but backed out the last moment. Firstly, because it is token of her love for him and no matter what happened, she still loved him. Also, it would have left a scar anyway. So, Sanyukta decided to keep it but chose to keep it hidden.

KNOCK, KNOCK. 'Come, Sanyukta we are getting late.' Vidhushi called from outside.

'Yes. One minute.' Sanyukta replied. She quickly adjusted her hair and Dupatta. Looking at her reflection she breathed out. She adjusted her Jhumka in the right ear and picked up her clutch purse.

************************************

Ankit drove Vidhushi and Sanyukta to the venue. Vidhushi smiled and hugged Ankit.

'Thank you, sweetheart.' She said kissing his cheek. Sanyukta looked away awkwardly. The two girls then got down the car.

'Call me and I will come.' Ankit said.