Episode 3~ Ego and Guilt

'Wake up, Randhir.' A sweet female voice called. Randhir smiled in his sleep.

'Hmmm...' He replied groggily and stirred on his bed.

'Uff ho! Don't you want to go to work?' She sounded annoyed and this made Randhir's smile widened. He shook his head, his eyes still closed.

'No!' He responded and buried his face in the pillow. He heard her sigh.

'Randhir wake up, else I will throw this jug of water on you. I am not kidding.'

Randhir groaned, - 'Please, Sanyukta two more minutes.'

'No, Randhir. 3...2...On-'

Randhir woke up with a jolt. He sat up on the bed and looked around the empty room. His chest heaved as he tried steadying his breath.

Damn! He is dreaming of her again. Randhir held his forehead and pushed behind his hair. After his breath had returned to normal he fell back on the bed. Without moving his gaze from the ceiling, he picked up his phone and glanced at the time. 3 am, there is still time for work. He sighed tossing the phone beside him.

Randhir turned to other side and stared at the opposite wall until he fell asleep again.

********************************

8 am, Randhir showered and got dressed for work. He walked into the empty living room and sighed. He is used to this loneliness by now. Silently, he walked into the kitchen and poured some milk and cornflakes into a bowl and walked out with it. He opened the curtain of his tiny living room and stared front through the window for a while before turning around. He placed the bowl on the table and silently munched on his food. Except for him chewing there is complete silence, a strange stillness.

After eating Randhir washed the used bowl and placed it neatly on the rack, he wiped his palms with a tissue and walked out.

Randhir wore his black coat and flung the sling of his laptop bag around his neck and with his head lowered he walked towards the main door. Locking the door, he stuffed the keys into his trouser pants and gloomily walked towards the stairs.

Outside, he got a cab and took the ride to HT automobile company.

Randhir registered his name and walked through the corridor towards his cabin. As he passed by many of his colleagues greeted him, but he doesn't bother replying nor smiling.

'What a guy?'

'He hardly talks.'

'Arrogant fellow.'

'No, I guess he is depressed and lonely.'

His colleagues speak behind his back. Randhir is aware of his reputation but doesn't care. His boss has no complaints about his work and he too is satisfied with his job as a mechanical engineer designing cars.

Randhir switched on his laptop and got back to designing the engine he had left yesterday. Before, he started he felt nostalgic. It happens always. He reminisced his days in FITE, with all his friends and her. They used to work so hard on their dream team car and it wasn't as stressful as it is now.

Randhir worked mechanically, he continued to work even few minutes during lunch break. Then, he got up and walked into the canteen. He avoided looking around, all happy people chatting with their friends while Randhir is all alone. He is used to this by now, he had been a loner all his life. Except for a friend Karan who died, then his father with whom he isn't in talking terms anymore, and her, whom he left.