Episode 10~ At The Hospital

Randhir and Sanyukta kept looking at each other until Dr. Prasad appeared beside Sanyukta.

'Miss. Agarwal?' He called. Sanyukta looked at the doctor. Randhir looked at him too.

'Can I have a word with you?' Dr. Prasad asked Sanyukta. She nodded. Then, she looked at Randhir before walking with Dr. Prasad. Randhir watched them. He wondered what the doctor wanted to tell her.

What if she is sick? - Randhir's heart dropped at the thought. He shook his head.

No, she can't be sick. - He tried to console himself. For a moment, he thought he should follow Sanyukta and eavesdrop on her conversation with the doctor.

If she is unwell, Randhir was determined to do anything to save her.

'Sir, Room 544 is this way.' A nurse said. Annoyed, Randhir looked at her. She smiled sweetly and suggested she guide him there. Randhir sighed, looked at the direction where Sanyukta and doctor had walked off. Then, he turned and silently followed the nurse.

***********************

Randhir felt uncomfortable as he stood in front of room 544. He didn't know what he should be expecting. A dying father or someone who has fallen in his eyes, forever. Randhir took a deep breath and entered.

He scrunched his nose upon inhaling the pungent smell of the medicines. He looked around the ward. There his father laying on a small stretcher bed in a dull blue hospital robe. Randhir walked up to him. His eyes were closed but his chest was rising and falling steadily. On close look, Randhir noticed his father looked much older than he was. Wrinkles, greying hair, dark circles. Randhir felt terrible. No matter what happened in the past, he was his father. Yet, Randhir can never forget nor forgive his parents for what they did.

He stood beside his father and sighed. He didn't know what to say or do. He opened his mouth to call his father but words failed him and so he closed his mouth. He looked away and saw the dip attached to his arm. Looking at the needle piercing his father's vein made Randhir feel uncomfortable. He looked around and found a small stool. He walked up to it and carried it towards the bed. He placed it and sat next to his father. His father seemed to be fast asleep. Randhir kept looking at him.

What has happened, Dad? Why did this happen? We could have been a happy family. You, me and Mom but we aren't. Why? I hope you recover soon. If I lose you, I will lose a huge part of my life. You, Mom and Sanyukta. You three mean everything to me, yet no one is there with me. I am lonely.

'Hi, I am Dr. Divya.' A voice called from behind. Randhir quickly wiped his tears with the back of his fingers and cleared his throat. He turned around. A middle-aged stubby woman wearing a doctor's coat stood a few distances away from him. Randhir nodded and stood up.

'Randhir Singh Shekhawat.' Randhir replied as he shook hands with the lady. She smiled warmly at him. Randhir doesn't smile back. Dr. Divya's smile faded and her expressions turned grim.

'Mr. Shekawat, right now your father is under sedatives, so he is sleeping.' - She looked at Harsh for a moment before looking back at Randhir, - 'Most of the time we have to keep him under sedatives, else he has a lot of pain.' - She sighed adjusting her black-rimmed glasses, - 'Thanks to alcohol abuse over the years, the majority of Mr. Shekawat's liver is damaged. Urgent Transplant is needed.' She explained.

Randhir frowned, - 'Then why aren't you doing the transplant? Money issues?' He asked.

Dr. Divya blinked her eyes and shook her head, - 'No, money is not an issue. Mrs. Saniyal is making sure there is no hindrance to his treatment. But the patient is being stubborn. He is refusing to get treated.' She said and then sighed sadly.