Episode 13~ The Invite

Next day, Kishore and Ankit were seated at the breakfast table. Ankit was busy talking to someone on phone while Vidhushi was busy arranging breakfast; all the while she had a grumpy face. As Kishore flipped the page of his newspaper, his gaze fell towards the stairs. He smiled seeing Sanyukta climbing down the stairs. She was dressed in Knee length, yellow pencil dress with a slim black belt around her waist. She looked very business-woman like with her hair tied in a tight high pony tail. Kishore looked at her with pride. Vidhushi's gaze fell on her and she began making faces.

There was a time when Sanyukta used to dress up like Behenji and now, hmph, show off - She thought bitterly. She also eyed her slender figure and made a mental note to join the same gym as Sanyukta.

But wait, she isn't in any gym. Hmm, I think I will join her for her every-day jog in the backyard - Vidhushi thought determinedly.

Sanyukta walked up to the dining table and Kishore unfolded his newspaper. She greeted him with a smile, He greeted her back with a wide smile.

'Good morning, Bhai.' She greeted her brother as she took her seat opposite him.

'Good morning.' Ankit replied not looking up from his mobile. Sanyukta's smile dropped for a moment but she reminded herself that Ankit was always like this. Kishore frowned and looked up at Vidhushi.

'My dear, are we getting the food now or in the next life?' He taunted her. Vidhushi nodded and quickly plated an Aloo Paratha on his plate.

The Agarwals sat in their car, Ankit in the passenger seat and the father-daughter duo in the back seat. Sanyukta checked her wristwatch and then shifted in her seat. She ran her palm over her pony-tail.

'Beta.' Kishore called her, his tone soft and caring. Sanyukta looked at him and smiled. All her life, she had always wanted her father to speak lovingly to her. Instead, he used to always be stern with her, demotivating her. Now, she was happy that her father has changed. Else, she would have been so lonely.

Kishore placed his palm on her shoulder, - 'I know you are my strong bacha, Sanyukta. I also know how disturbed you are by certain someone,' - Sanyukta bit her lip, - 'But I am sure you won't let your personal feelings affect your state of mind.' He said seriously. Sanyukta nodded and held his hand.

'Papa, I don't feel anything for him. He is just another delegate.' She replied confidently. Kishore felt proud that his daughter has matured so much. But he was also upset as so much happened in her life that made her this way. He blinked slowly at her and she smiled back. Then, she shifted and leaned in the seat. For the rest of the journey to the office, she kept thinking about her father's words.

No matter what, I will not let Papa down - She pressed her lips tightly and inhaled sharply.

************************

The three Agarwals walked into the work floor. They found that the delegates, Harry, Abigail, and Randhir were already present with Vikram. Sanyukta took a deep breath and clasped her fingers tightly. She walked with her father and brother on either side of her. Randhir looked at her and admired her in a business attire and with heels. She looked stunning and so much mature than when in college. Involuntarily, a smile appeared on her face. But he quickly wiped it as he found Kishore eyeing him. After that, he avoided looking at Sanyukta.

Sanyukta looked at Randhir, he was dressed in a beige suit with his hair neatly combed and gelled. She liked him dressed in a formal suit, in college she had seen him in formal attire during their placements. She kept looking at him until they stopped walking. Randhir looked at her and she looked away.