34. Legends never die

R rated content

John's POV

I was waiting with it as long as possible, trying to not see it as an option but I couldn't wait any longer. I had a choice and I chose what was better for her. For the first time in my life I wasn't selfish. I wasn't thinking of myself and what would be better for me. Everything I did, I did for her and only for her. I was walking to the doctor's office feeling completely nothing. I was emotionless. Everything just let go when I made the decision. I knew I will regret it so fucking bad as soon as I will tell the doctor this one sentence which will change everything in my life. Turn off the machines. I couldn't even swallow my saliva and I was getting nervous. I so badly didn't want to let her go that it was killing me from the inside but I knew it was for the best. She didn't deserve to be in pain. Maybe in another life we will find each other again and this time we will have a happy ending we always dreamed of but now it was impossible. She was the most incredible woman I have ever met. She taught me so much that there was no right words to thank her. She was just a blessing and there will be always a special place for her in my heart. My hands were sweaty and just as I was about to knock on the door, it opened and I was met by Katy's doctor. He looked at me happily that I was there making me take a step back fearfully. How was he so happy while my girlfriend was dying a few rooms away? Couldn't he just act like he cares? If he was on my place, I'm sure he would look as bad as I was at that moment. I just couldn't look at him anymore and just as I was about to walk away, he stopped me.

"I have good news. Miss Perry is getting better. Her heartbeat is much stronger and there's a huge chance she will live." He said making my mouth fall open. Was he real? Seconds earlier I was ready to give up and now he's telling me she was better? Was I dreaming? I quickly ran back to her room. Knowing that she was getting better and there was a chance for her was making me smile. I wanted to be there when she wakes up to tell her how scared of her I was and how much I loved her. Her body needed time but they told me my presence was helping her. She felt my every touch and word making her tired body relaxed just knowing I was there for her. I wasn't expecting her to wake up at the same day but after days and days of waiting I was getting sick of it. I wanted to see her blue eyes looking like ocean waves and take me to a better place full of happiness and love.

Katy was looking so porcelain lying in the hospital bed. Her body was healing and the color was coming back on her skin. She was breathing on her own. I was still angry at myself that I wasn't there to help her in time or just hold her hand and make sure they were taking a good care of her. She deserved the world and I was tired of seeing her hurt. I wanted to see her happy again. Was it too much to ask? Why everyone wanted her death? What did she do? I sat on the chair next to her bed. Katy's mother rubbed my back. I looked up at her and she smiled sadly and kissed my forehead. I watched her leaving the room until she finally was gone. I dropped my head into the sheets next to Katy. My eyes started watering and seconds later I was sobbing uncontrollably, praying for a miracle. I didn't care if my sobs were too loud. I was broken. There was nothing left in my life if she was dead but the doctor said there was a huge chance. That means there was still hope.

"Please, God, let her live." I cried making the sheets wet. "I need my girl back." I took Katy's hand in my own and kissed the back of it. I closed my eyes with tears still falling from my eyes and laid my head on our hands. I felt a small hand lying on my head and playing with my hair just like Katy always used to touch them. Tears were forming again in my eyes as I raised my head and looked at my girlfriend lying on the hospital bed but now her breathtaking eyes were open, hand in my hair. She looked around probably feeling scared and lost. I squeezed her hand lightly making her look back at me. I rushed to her side and embraced her. She sank into my arms as I was kissing her hair. I silently thanked God for saving her and bringing light back into my life.