"I did try to make dessert but I burned it" said Carter with guilt.

"Its fine, I'm full anyways. This was perfect" I replied.

He took his last bite and then a sip of his drink. I watched him, amazed at how he had made me feel so much today. He looked up at me with a serious look on his face.

"Now, the truth that you deserve to know" he said.

I sat up and nodded. He took a deep breath and looked away.

"Three years ago Drake got in a fight with his parents, he wanted to buy this really expensive car but his father refused. He didn't give up the idea and to get money he did something really stupid. He started gambling"

Carter looked directly at me now.

"But except of winning anything he lost, a huge amount and if he didn't pay back to those people from whom he lost they would have killed him. He came to me of course after ruining everything. After a lot of thinking we went to this guy at our school who had told us if we had any problem relating money we should contact him."

"He took us to this guy named Paul who was a drug dealer and handler. He had a whole group under him that worked solely for this purpose. Believe it or not there is a huge underground mafia relating drugs in our city. He promised that he would pay us the desired money if we shipped his drugs to another city. We agreed and delievered, didn't got caught and got the money."

He took a deep breath and looked away again.

"But we didn't stop there, when you get money so easily you don't want ro give it up. And so for three years we have been doing this"

He stopped talking and I didn't say anything, I didn't know what to say. He had told me a big secret about his life. I wanted to say something that was right but didn't know what.

After a few minutes he looked at me, when my silence became noticable.

"Do you hate me now?" He asked fear visible on his face.

"N..No" I said quickly. I don't want him to think like this.

"Um...what...what about Kaiden" I asked.

"Kaiden was part of our rival group, the one Rick used to work for, the one who kidnapped you. He was the best they had. When a new drug comes to the city there are fights and deaths between groups about who will get their hands on them. A year ago Kaiden realised that he was so good he didn't need to work under someone, he could make a living for himself. So he stole a huge amount, left the group and disappeared with Caroline."

"Caroline was also part of the rival group, that's how she knew Kaiden. What you told me about Caroline and Kaiden I already had known. I started dating her so I could keep an eye on the other group, she was doing the same. I didn't know when feelings got caught up"

"I won't lie to you Eva, there was a time I felt something for Caroline but not anymore and it was never as strong as this" he said and reached out for my hand.

I nodded and squeezed his hand, trying to ensure him that its okay.

"But I am going to stop this, I won't be doing this anymore, I have other beautiful reasons to live" he said smiling.

I felt relief wash over me after hearing that. He was going to leave everything, we don't have to go through what happened again.

"Won't this Paul mind?"

"He's going to be really angry, after all I am the best he has but he'll have to agree" he replied with a twinkle in his eye.

I smiled and looked behind me at the tree.

"I am going to take these notes with me" I said.

"You don't really have to, you have me to say those words to you everyday" said Carter.

"Lets leave them, so if another idiot like me passes by from here he could read these and do the right thing"

We got back to the car soon after, it was dark outside, the moon visible behind clouds. My curfew was nine and the time was past ten now. So when we Carter stopped the car in front of the house I wasn't surprised to see mom standing in the doorway waiting, glaring at us.

"Bye" I said and opened the door to leave.

"Eva" Carter called as I stepped out.

"I love you" he said when I looked at him.

"I love you too"

The night sure is beautiful.

...............................

Here you have it the truth finally. How do you feel about it???
COMMENT AND VOTE