Esther's Grief

After all was done,  Mordecai rent his clothes,  and put on sackcloth with ashes,  then went into the city.  There was a loud cry and bitter.  He came to the king's gate.  For no one came to the king's gate clothed in sackcloth.

There was mourning among the Jews,  and fasting,  weeping,  and wailing.  There were many that lay in sackcloth and ashes.  The maids told Esther and she was grieved.  She sent clothes for Mordecai.  She took away his sackcloth.  But he did not receive it.

Esther called the chamberlains and gave commandments for Mordecai.  He answered her.  She told him to gather all the Jews and fast for her.  No drink or eating.  Day or night.  Her maids would do the same.  She said she would go the king.  The said if I perish so be it.

The third day she put on her royal clothes and stood in the court of the king's house:  The king sat upon his royal throne in the royal house.  When the king saw Esther standing in the court he found favor in her.  The king handed her the golden sceptre that was in his hand.  Esther touched it.

The king asked her what is thy request?  It will be given to you to half of the kingdom.  She said let the king and Haman come this day to the banquet that has been prepared for  him.  Then the king said they would go.  At the banquet he asked Esther,  what is thy petition?  She answered that I find favor in the sight of the king and if it pleases the king to grant my petition,  let the king and Haman come to the banquet and tomorrow as the king says.