55: Mythal

Dorian

He left the bustle of activity in the great hall and stepped outside to where the rest of Skyhold's inhabitant's were celebrating everywhere he looked. Cheers, music and laughter filled the cool night air with voices raised in celebration and song.

Smiling to himself, he headed down the stairs to the tavern, his heart light with love and hope for the future. He couldn't believe they had finally put an end to Corypheus. Despite all his doubts and fears they had won, but more than that neither he nor Nathaniel had been harmed in the final battle.

As he was about to enter the tavern, a cold chill descended around his shoulders as though the hand of death had brushed past him. Startled, he stopped to look around but could see nothing out of the ordinary. The residents of Skyhold were still laughing, singing and drinking, just as they had been when he'd stepped out of the castle.

He frowned then shrugged it off. Must have been a residue of unreleased tension, he reasoned before stepping into the welcoming warmth of the tavern.

----xxx----

Varric had every intention of joining his friends at the tavern, but first he wanted to check on Merrill. He knew she hadn't given up the idea of speaking to Morrigan and she hadn't been in the tavern when they'd returned to Skyhold, so he had a pretty good idea where to find her. After excusing himself from the nobles surrounding his table in the grand hall, he made a beeline for the garden hoping he would get there before his friend could get herself in trouble.

Almost at once he spotted her, deep in conversation with the witch herself whose expression was looking more annoyed with each passing second. Moving quickly, he reached Merrill's side just as it seemed clear Morrigan had had enough of the young elven woman.

"Varric." Morrigan said, interrupting what Merrill had been saying. "I see you've finally found your friend. Come to her rescue have you?"

He smiled, sharing a look with Morrigan. "In a manner of speaking. I've come to ask her to join me in the tavern."

"Good. Then if you'll excuse me, I need to check on my son." She said, not waiting for a reply.

"Varric, I'm so glad to see you're all right. What a terrible ordeal it must have been facing Corypheus and his dragon the way you did."

"It wasn't that bad Daisy."

"But the Temple was floating in the sky! Weren't you afraid you'd fall?"

Varric grimaced. "I was actually trying to forget that part. Besides, I was a little busy killing demons to have time to worry about it."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to remind you."

"It's okay Daisy. But what are you doing here? I thought I told you Morrigan wasn't the chatty type?"

"Well you did of course, but I saw she was injured when you all came back and thought I'd ask if she wanted my help. I had some healing herbs and teas made up just in case."

"And did she want help then?"

"Not exactly. Though she did take one of my teas and one potion. But then she got a bit cross. That was just before you joined us."

"Sounds like Morrigan." He muttered. "Anyways, everyone is down at the tavern. I thought you might like to join us."

"That sounds nice Varric. Lead the way."

Nathaniel

After helping Josephine with her banquet plans, I went in search of Morrigan. She'd been injured in the fight with the dragon and I wanted to check on her. More than that though, I wanted to know her plans now that Corypheus was dead.