67: New Friends

Dorian

He was kicking himself as Erevan led him down the hall to a doorway he knew led to the cellar. Erevan had been joined by two other elves judging by their height, though it was impossible to be sure.

Clad all in black with masks like that of the Venatori, he couldn't see their faces. Each of them carried a silver rod with a large crystal fastened to the end, which gave off a faint amber glow.

He had no doubt they wouldn't hesitate to use them if he tried to resist. Though it galled him to go along with his impending imprisonment, he was also greatly outnumbered with the loss of his magic due to the magic suppression shackles on his wrists. In the very likely event he lost to his captors he had no desire to be rendered unconscious while Solas was around.

His shoulders slumped as they led him down a torch-lit hallway and into a sparsely furnished, stone-walled room. He didn't remember it from when he'd been Alexius' student, though admittedly he had never spent much time in the cellar either. Erebas grunted at him, motioning him to an iron frame bed with a faintly stained mattress in the far corner of the room.

He frowned, wrinkling his nose at the foul odour which permeated the air, but stumbled forward when one of the hooded figures prodded him in the back.

"You can't be serious." He said, forcing himself to keep his tone light. "Next it'll be thumbscrews and hot brands."

"Don't tempt me mage." Erevan grunted, crossing the room to attach his shackles to a chain secured to the bed frame.

"You do realize who you're working for yes?" Dorian asked, ignoring him. "He's not who you think he is."

Erevan smirked, settling on a stool in the far corner. He nodded to his companions to take their leave and they bowed before gliding from the room on silent feet. Under other conditions, he might have asked how they managed it, but given the situation it mostly just unnerved him.

"You think I don't know who he is?" Erevan laughed. "He's our saviour. He's going to restore the elves to their proper place in this human-infested world."

"Human-infested?"

"You heard me. Human-infested. Your kind is nothing but a blight on the world. A stain on the land that is measures worse than the Blight caused by archdemons."

"He'll betray you, you know. It's what he does."

"Shut your silver tongue mage. Everyone knows mages do nothing but lie. Especially garbage-rutting magisters like you."

"I am no magister. And garbage rutting? That's a bit harsh don't you think? Also, completely uncalled for."

"Perhaps not in title yet, but yes you are. Doesn't matter anyway. You bleed as easy as any other man. Once my master is done with you, you won't care what happens anymore."

"And what exactly is he planning to do with me? And why call him master? I thought you were a servant, not a slave." Dorian retorted, unable to hold his temper.

Erevan's lip curled in anger, tightening his grip on the glowing rod in his hand.

"I won't warn you again mage. Shut your mouth."

"I don't think Solas would appreciate having his prisoner assaulted by the likes of you."

"That's where you're wrong." Erevan grinned, his eyes going cold. "So long as you don't die, I can do whatever necessary to get you to cooperate."

"Well I am cooperating." Dorian reasoned, wondering how far he could push the elf before he snapped. "No one's forcing you to talk to me."

Erevan grunted, refusing to respond to Dorian's jibe.