42: Visitors

Nathaniel

Feeling unsettled, I parted ways with Leliana in the main hall. A few nobles were waiting for me, so I spoke with them for a moment before heading to the library.

"Amatus." He said, his eyes filling with adoration as he embraced me. "Everything went well with Leliana's mystery message?"

"It did." I said, stepping back from him. "I think she might be remembering what she truly values."

"She's a very strong-headed woman amatus. Any softening would be a welcome change."

"I hope so." I agreed, though not entirely certain I'd done the right thing.

"Was there something else?" He asked.

I hesitated. I wasn't sure I wanted to push yet, but everyone could feel how close we were to ending Corypheus and I needed to know where I stood with him.

"I wanted to ask you something."

Dorian frowned. "That sounds ominous."

"I thought we could discuss what happens... after."

"Ah yes." He nodded, crossing his arms over his chest. "After. Dreadful thing, after. Let's see. Assuming one or both of us aren't slaughtered along the way, what do you wish to happen? We could go our separate ways if you prefer. I've been a port in a storm before. I would understand."

"You mean more to me than that Dorian. You know that." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "I want us to stay together as long as we can."

"You're very sentimental for someone who's killed as many people as you have."

"You bring it out in me." I retorted. Why was he talking like this? Had I done something wrong?

"Sweet maker. Next you'll be making calf eyes at puppies. I... don't know what the future holds. For us or anything. Once Corypheus is defeated, when this is over, I'd like to talk about it more, if you would. That's my honest answer."

"Alright." I said, though inside I felt as though my heart had just shattered into pieces. I'd been so certain he wanted to be with me, to stay with me forever. How could I have not seen this coming? How could he not know how much I loved him? He'd said he loved me numerous times, did that not mean the same thing to him?

"Inquisitor." Varric called as I walked aimlessly toward the castle's front door.

"Varric." I said, still stunned by what had happened with Dorian.

"I have a friend I'd like you to meet. She's down in the tavern. She's a little shy, so I thought it best if you met with her in a more relaxed setting."

"Oh?" I said absently, still trying to collect myself. "Who is this friend Varric?"

"Just someone I met in Kirkwall." He said, leading me outside."She's an elf and knows a bit about ancient elven history."

"Does that also mean she knows something about their gods as well?"

"Yeah. She was always talking about the Dread Wolf. I wrote to her and she wanted to come here to meet you. Apparently, the elves in Kirkwall are doing much better now. Most of the fighting has stopped. Most of the residents are too busy rebuilding and fighting darkspawn to waste resources on clashing with the city elves."

"I see." I said, not knowing what else to say.

----xxx----

"Merrill." Varric said, giving the young, black-haired elf a hug hello. "I'd like you to meet the Inquisitor."