11: Magister Halward

Inquisitor

Our meeting with Hawke, Stroud and the man behind the Warden's use of blood magic went very badly for the now compromised Warden mages. Corypheus had used fear to weaken the Wardens, while Livius Erimond had used promises of glory to convince the Warden-Commander that resorting to blood magic was a good idea.

All the Warden mages were now under the control of Corypheus. They had bound demons to themselves through blood magic after putting their warrior comrades to the knife. Erimond fled while we fought the remaining mages and their demons.

Hawke and Stroud took off in pursuit of Erimond to find out where the other Wardens had gone, promising to catch up with us back in Skyhold.

----xxx----

After speaking with Hawke and my advisors, I headed up the stairs to talk to Dorian. I had almost forgotten about the letter Mother Giselle had given me, though I wished I hadn't remembered it. I wasn't looking forward to what I was about to do, but I couldn't keep it a secret from him.

"Aren't you a sight for sore eyes." He said, his eyes sparking with pleasure, making what I was about to say that much harder.

"There's a letter for you." I said.

"Is it a naughty letter?" He teased.

"It's from your father."

His face grew cold and all the warmth and merriment drained from his eyes. "And what does Magister Halward want, pray tell?"

"A meeting."

"Let me see this letter." He growled.

Handing it to him, I stepped away to give him privacy but hesitated. He hadn't asked to be left alone and I watched as his face darkened further.

"I know my son?" He spat. "What my father knows of me would fill a thimble!"

"I know there's bad blood between you Dorian, but they do seem to be concerned about you."

He laughed, the smile never reaching his eyes. "Interesting choice of words."

"Is it because you wouldn't do as they asked and get married?"

"They had a plan for me and I refused. Rejected their idyllic plans and left. Likely this "retainer" my father mentions is some hoodlum my father hired to knock me on the head and drag me back to Tevinter."

"Is it really that bad?" I asked, not understanding.

"Only one way to find out. If it's a trap, we kill everyone and return here. You're good at that sort of thing. If not, I tell this retainer to tell my father to shove his concern because I am not interested."

---xxx---

Outside the Gull and Lantern in Redcliff, Dorian hesitated, his hand on the door.

"We don't have to do this if you don't want to Dorian." I said, sensing the emotional turmoil in him.

"No. I have to do this. I need to know what this is about." He said, stepping inside.

I followed on his heels and tensed when I saw the tavern empty.

"Uh oh." Dorian quipped. "No one's here."

"Dorian." Called a dark man from across the room.

"Father." Dorian replied, his voice heavy with anger. "So this business about a retainer was what? A smokescreen? Something to get me out here?"

"I see you were told." He said, addressing me. "Inquisitor, it was not my intention that you be involved in this."

"Of course not!" Dorian snapped. "It's not like you could come to Skyhold and be seen with the dread Inquisitor! What would people say?"