24: Orlesians

Nathaniel

So far in my search, I had uncovered evidence implicating both Gaspard and Briala, the elven ambassador who rumour had it, said she had been a former lover of Celene's. Scandalous as that was, it didn't get me closer to uncovering who the assassin might be.

Florianne had made several cryptic comments during our dance though and it had me suspicious of her. My advisors insisted I had to act soon before someone murdered Celene, but I refused. I wasn't convinced I had all the evidence there was to find and headed for the Royal Quarters to continue searching.

"Did you enjoy your dance with the Duchess Inquisitor?" Dorian asked while we were searching the royal wing.

"It was all right." I said, distracted by a letter I found.

"Just all right? Seems like you enjoyed it very much. You were quite graceful and attentive to your partner."

I caught the note of irritation in his voice and turned to stare at him in surprise.

"You're joking." I said. "That sounded an awful lot like jealousy to me."

"Nonsense." He scoffed, frowning at me. "I don't get jealous of frilly, bejeweled women dressed like prized peacocks."

I crossed the room and put a hand to his cheek, forcing him to look at me.

"Dorian." I said, meeting his eyes. "The only reason I looked like that is because I was imagining I was dancing with you."

"The things you say..." He whispered, his tension leaving him as I placed a kiss on his parted lips.

"Are all true." I finished, releasing him as Varric and Cassandra joined us. "Dance with me later?"

"Assuming we survive and find this assassin in time?" He replied, his tone light again. "Yes. I would like that. They'd be so beside themselves with shock I imagine they'd throw baskets full of fruit at us in protest."

"They'd do no such thing. And besides, they'll be so grateful I saved their empress they'll applaud us. Orlesians love happy endings."

"Be that as it may, you clearly don't know how many here detest my homeland."

"Dorian."

"Right." He huffed. "Very well Inquisitor, I would love to dance with you."

"Good. Let's get this business finished with."

Half an hour later, we had uncovered evidence implicating Gaspard, Briala and Empress Celene herself. All of them had plotted against each other, yet as I suspected, Florianne was the true assassin in their midst. After I confronted her, I used what I had gathered to force the three of them into suspending their hostilities to work together.

Once Celene made her speech to her guests, I retreated to the balcony to gather my thoughts and catch my breath. I was joined by a dark-haired woman with strange golden eyes who informed me Celene wished for her to join the Inquisition.

Despite my misgivings, I welcomed Lady Morrigan to our cause and promised to speak with her at length once we returned to Skyhold. Dorian joined me a minute later after she had left me and returned to the ballroom. He was pleased as punch at how we'd saved the day and come out the other side unscathed.

"I know what you need amatus." He said, seeing my tired look. "A distraction. Luckily, I have just the thing."

"Really?" I teased. "You're not going to start throwing insults at every noble inside are you? Because that would be quite the distraction."

"Sadly, no. I had something more pleasant in mind." He said, offering me his arm. "Would you care to dance Inquisitor?

I smiled and took his arm. "I was hoping you would ask."