71: Rescue

Dorian

He rubbed his hand absently after speaking with the Inquisitor. A tingle of recognition and a strange sense of connection had shot through his palm when he'd taken the man's hand in greeting.

It was unexpected and very unsettling and it had taken great effort not to snatch it back. He'd forced himself to smile and nod, saying what was expected of him before excusing himself. While the Inquisitor responded politely, he hadn't missed the look of surprise and sadness in the other man's eyes. He'd had to look away, unable to process the raw emotion he saw there. It had been heart-breaking to see and he'd felt his own heart squeeze painfully at the sight of it.

He headed to the dining hall, mulling over what had happened. One of his bodyguards appeared beside him, once more offering him a glass of wine. He frowned at it and set it aside on the table. He felt the guard stiffen when he didn't drink and he turned to stare at the man. By all appearances, he could see nothing amiss, yet he felt as though he'd just done something offensive. But that was ridiculous. The man was a bodyguard... yet why then was he bringing him wine?

His attention was drawn from his musing then as slaves filled the hall, laden with plates of food. He turned to his dinner as it was placed before him, forgetting his discomfort and suspicions as he ate. He was halfway through his meal when the Inquisitor appeared, taking a seat to his left.

"Looks like a splendid feast." He said, lifting a fork to his mouth.

"Yes..." Dorian stammered, suddenly nervous. "Quite grand."

"Do magisters eat like this often?"

"No, not especially." He answered, glad to be on safe conversational ground. "Too many rivalries I'm afraid."

"I see." The Inquisitor nodded, trying to catch his eye.

"Pardon my forwardness Inquisitor, but why have you chosen to sit here? I believe as the guest of honour you are meant to be seated at the head of the table."

"I wanted to sit with an old friend." He answered, his voice casual. "You did help me defeat Corypheus after all."

"Well certainly." Dorian agreed, feeling himself grow increasingly uncomfortable. "But so did a lot of other people. And I hadn't realized you thought of me as a friend. I'm flattered by the compliment, but I was certain I was nothing more than a political ally."

"You're much more than an ally to me Lord Pavus." The Inquisitor whispered back. "Much, much more."

Dorian looked up sharply. What in Andraste's name was the man playing at? More indeed. Was this some kind of joke? Make fun of the new magister? "I'm sure I don't know what you mean Inquisitor, and I don't appreciate being made fun of."

"Magister Pavus?" Called a female voice to his left.

Frowning, Dorian turned to see a servant of House Titus addressing him. "Yes? What is it?"

"Magister Titus would like a word with you ser. If you'll come with me?"

"Of course." He nodded, grateful to be rescued from the uncomfortable conversation he was having with the Inquisitor. "Inquisitor. I hope you enjoy the remainder of the evening's festivities. Good evening to you."

Without waiting for a response, he fell into step behind the servant as she led him from the dining hall to a private room at the end of a short corridor. He was so preoccupied with trying to work out what the Inquisitor had said that he didn't notice when his bodyguards began to disappear. By the time he was shown into the private room, he was alone and staring into the worried face of his friend, Maevaris.