48: Secrets

Nathaniel

"I imagine the two of you are hungry after your journey." I said after Morrigan had gone.

Hawke nodded. "We are actually. The last tavern we passed before arriving here didn't have much on offer."

"In that case, I'll see to getting you some food. If you want to rest, feel free. I'll be gone for about an hour after I return. I have a few people I need to speak with before I bring Varric up to see you."

"You don't have to do this Inquisitor." Hawke protested. "As Morrigan implied, we could just leave. I'm not sure how much help we can be to you if we don't know who we're hiding from."

"I don't think that's an option." I said. "Even if you did, you would have no way of knowing our enemy here doesn't already suspect something. They could have spies and whoever it is, they've been two steps ahead of us since all this started."

"Does that mean you're starting to remember what you were made to forget?" Fenris asked.

I shook my head. "Not exactly. I feel it in my gut though. And saying it aloud reinforces my belief I'm on the right track. No. You're safer here for now. I'll be back soon with some food."

Dorian

He was immersed in reading about early Tevinter history when he became aware of a presence watching him. Looking up, he recognized Cole's distinctive hat bobbing in his direction.

"Cole?"

"Dorian. I need to talk to you. But not here. Will you walk with me?"

Dorian frowned. "I can do that. Is something wrong?"

"Yes." He said, moving to the door leading to the main hall without further explanation.

Confused by Cole's behaviour, he got to his feet, following Cole to the battlements outside.

"You're not yourself Dorian." Cole accused when they reached the west wall.

"I..." Dorian began. He knew he wasn't behaving normally, though he had little memory of what that meant or looked like. Something had changed and he felt disconnected from the things he usually did every day, though he could not recall what those things were.

"You are in two places at the same time." Cole continued.

"I'm... what?"

"Are you not aware of being in the Fade?" He challenged.

"The Fade? I'm not following Cole. I went to the Fade with the Inquisitor, but that was a while ago."

Cole shook his head, his face troubled. "No. You are in the Fade now and you are here too."

"That's not possible. Could you please make sense?"

"Then you don't know."

"Know what?" Dorian retorted. It was so hard to follow Cole's line of thought that sometimes he felt as though the young man was deliberately confusing. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Forget I said anything Dorian." He muttered.

"Forget? How could I forget a conversation like this?"

"I don't know. But you have to. If you're not aware you aren't fully here, then you can't stop. It means someone else has done this."

"Done what? I don't understand what you're talking about."

"I can't say. They might be listening."

"You're giving me a headache." Dorian grumbled. "And now I'm worried. Tell me what this is about."