61: Somniari

Nathaniel

I crossed the room before anyone could react and kept walking until I reached Josephine's office. I stopped by the fireplace to stare into the flames while I fought to gain control of my emotions. The Imperium? What in Andraste's bloody arse was Solas up to? Was Dorian simply a cover? Was he in danger? How much time did I have before it was too late?

"Fasta vaas! Kaffas! Bloody knife-ear!"

"Inquisitor?"

I turned to see Hawke standing behind me. She crossed the room to my side, her eyes filled with sympathy and on seeing it I broke. Tears coursed down my cheeks as she took me in her arms, my shoulders shaking with fear and grief for the loss and helplessness that overwhelmed me. She said nothing as I wept, waiting quietly for my sobs to subside as I let go of the control I'd had on my emotions.

"Hawke." I croaked, stepping free of her embrace. "Thank you."

"You don't need to thank me Inquisitor." She said. "I can't imagine what you're going through."

"I feel so helpless." I growled, turning back to stare into the fire. "I can't even go after him without a plan. I feel useless."

"I understand Inquisitor, but I came out here to offer my help. Fenris and I can leave today, pick up Solas' trail. Perhaps even cross into Tevinter."

My eyes widened in shock at what she was suggesting. "What about Fenris? Won't he be in danger if he goes back there? And you. You have no magic. It would be beyond dangerous for the two of you to go there. The odds of being captured by slavers is too high, especially given your reputation in Kirkwall."

"Details Inquisitor." She said, her eyes filled with determination. "I have a friend who can provide the necessary cover for me. You don't need to worry about that."

"And this friend would be willing to do this for you?"

"Willing or not, he owes me. As for Fenris, he may not like the idea but it would give him the opportunity to kill slavers. It's something he and I both enjoy."

"Are you sure about this?" I said, worried for her safety. "I thought you wanted to go home to Kirkwall."

"Oh I still plan to go home. But if this Solas is planning to start a war, how long will any of us be able to enjoy the peace you've brought to Thedas? I can't just walk away knowing this."

"And Fenris?"

She frowned. "He won't be happy about it, but we'll be together. In the end, it's all that matters."

"Will you take Varric then? Or Merrill?"

She sighed. "I miss having them with us, but no. It would be too dangerous for Merrill. She says the wrong things much too often and it would be impossible to hide the fact she's Dalish. And you'll need Varric more than I will. We'll be fine Inquisitor."

I sighed, nodding at her assessment of things. "Very well. If this is what you want, I don't have a problem with it."

"What's all this then?" Varric asked, joining us. "You planning to leave again Hawke?"

"I'm sorry Varric, but I have to."

"Of course." Fenris muttered dryly, following on Varric's heels. "Hawke to the rescue. Again."

"Give me some credit Hawke." Varric frowned. "I figured that's what you were doing out here. I just wanted to let you know about Isabella."

"Isabella?"

"She has a new ship. She sent me a letter telling me she'd be in Denerim for the next ten days if any of us wanted to come visit."

"That's very fortuitous Varric." Hawke smiled.