66: Fen'Harel

Dorian

"Are you mad?" Dorian spluttered as Solas finished laying out his plan.

"On the contrary, I am being very reasonable."

"But you want to make me Archon." Dorian protested, not bothering to hide his shock. "Even if that were possible, none of the other magisters would ever allow it. They'd have me assassinated before it ever went to a vote."

"Nevertheless, I do not see any other way to achieve your goal. You need power Dorian. You do not yet wield enough to take on the magisterium, never mind all of Tevinter."

"This is madness. It can't be done." Dorian shook his head. "No. There must be another way."

"If there is I haven't found it. This is the way Dorian, or do you not wish to reform your country?"

"Reform it yes. But this sounds more like a coup, an abuse of power. This is not what I had in mind."

"Is that not why you want it to change? The magisters already abuse their power through the use of blood magic. How else do you expect to change things?"

"Fight fire with fire is that it? You want me to become what I most despise about my own country just to change it?" He growled.

"If that's what it takes."

"No." Dorian said, his voice firm. "I won't do this. I won't become what I hate just to reform my country. I will not compromise my values for the sake of saving time and effort. We'll just have to find another way."

"There is no other way!" Solas shouted, shooting to his feet to glare at him. "You must make the sacrifice Dorian. No one else can do this."

"Then I won't do it." Dorian retorted, crossing his arms over his chest. "If I can't stay true to myself then my country is lost. I will not resort to abuse of power to achieve my goal. It goes against everything I believe in, everything I loathe about my country. I will not turn myself into a hypocrite."

"That is unfortunate." Solas said coolly, crossing the room to stand before him. "I was hoping you would see reason, yet it seems your time in Ferelden has made you go soft."

"Ferelden?" Dorian echoed, tensing. He had no idea if he was supposed to remember being there or not. Did he feign ignorance? Or denial?

"Yes Ferelden." Solas continued, watching him with interest. "You do remember do you not? It seems the Inquisitor not only softened you up, he has also made you take responsibility as well."

"Inquisitor?" Dorian repeated, feeling his blood go cold.

Solas clucked his tongue. "Come now Dorian. We both know you remember everything. No need to continue this charade."

"I assure you I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Don't trifle with me mage." Solas threatened, his eyes flashing with blue fire. "I don't know how you managed it, it should not have been possible. But you remember everything, don't you?"

"You mean how you tried to kill me? Manipulated me? Started the entire bloody war with Corypheus?" Dorian snapped.

"So you know about Corypheus as well."

"What do you mean?" Dorian demanded. "Who else have you talked to about Corypheus?"

"It matters not. My journey is almost at an end. Though I must admit I am pleased I will no longer be forced to pretend friendship with you."

"We were never friends Solas." Dorian retorted, his eyes flashing with anger. "I merely tolerated you."

"Truly." Solas smirked, moving to answer the knock at the study door. "Did you hear all that?" He asked Erevan who stepped into the room.