19: Herald's Rest

Dorian

Despite the reassurances he'd given Nathaniel, he was afraid for him. The mark was still an unknown and it gave him no comfort. Thankfully, Nathaniel didn't know him well enough yet to realize just how good he was at hiding his thoughts.

As he'd ridden back to Skyhold, Cole's cryptic words had haunted him. He'd had a lot of time to think on it and wasn't the least surprised to realize he'd already made the connection between the land and the ancient elves. Even the artifact was elven. At least it was according to Solas, though how he knew that was beyond him.

Which made him wonder what else Solas knew. The mage wasn't the friendliest, nor the easiest person to talk to. Not that he talked to Dorian about anything other than to point out the failings of his homeland. No, he wouldn't be asking Solas anything, yet the man puzzled him and caused a nugget of suspicion to settle in his gut.

Shaking off his ruminations, he turned his thoughts back to what he'd just shared with his amatus. The man was determined to break his heart, he just knew it. Yet he was filled with such love for him, he was certain his heart would burst with joy and happiness whenever he gazed into those gorgeous green eyes.

He had never experienced anything like what he felt with Nathaniel. Not with anyone. The fact that he had given him oral pleasure the way he had, made his cheeks flush at the memory. It had been pure joy when he'd put his mouth on him. His pulse sped at the memory and he shook himself to banish the images it conjured. It just wouldn't be civilized to speak with the Nightingale about books with his eyes all glassy and his palms damp with remembered passion.

He shook himself again, wiping his palms down his pants to dry them before climbing the stairs to her office.

"Dorian?" Leliana greeted. "What brings you up here?"

"I have a favour to ask my dear Lady Nightingale. I wonder if I might trouble you to procure any texts you can find regarding the detailed history of the Exalted Plains. Also, I'd like to see anything you can find regarding the Dread Wolf, or Fen'Harel as the Dalish refer to him."

"Does this have something to do with why the Inquisitor returned to Skyhold alone?"

Dorian nodded. "It does. Something strange happened while we were in the Plains. He was overcome with exhaustion. Cole said some upsetting things, though I cannot say for certain what he said can be taken literally."

"Cole is a strange addition to the Inquisition. Though I have found many things he says to be true, if not clear." Leliana agreed.

"That was my take on it as well."

"I'll see what I can do." She said, smiling. "I'm aware of your growing attachment to the Inquisitor and he to you. I want you to know I'm pleased by it. The burden he carries should not be carried alone and given your actions to protect him from Alexius, I cannot imagine anyone better to fulfill that role."

Dorian blushed. "My Lady Nightingale, I am both pleased and flattered you think so. I was afraid you and others would see it as undue influence."

She shook her head. "Despite your tendency to hide your feelings behind a carefree facade, you have a heart of gold Dorian. Anyone can see that once they get to know you, which is likely what drew the Inquisitor to you in the first place."

"In that case, I thank you for telling me. If I might trouble you further, I would like to do something special for him. Do you know what he might like as a surprise? I'm afraid he hasn't shared much of what he did prior to becoming the Inquisitor, though I do know he likes to read."

"I have a few thoughts." She smiled. "And I think it's a wonderful idea. Give me a day or two and I'll have something for you on both requests."

"Thank you my Lady. You have been a delight to talk to."