57: Joined

Nathaniel

"I was passing through the hall earlier when a serving girl saw me and squealed. Dropped her laundry and everything. Such a mess. She was completely breathless. "You were at the battle with the evil one weren't you?" I didn't even get a chance to answer. She hugged me. Hugged me. This is your influence." Dorian said with a frown.

"Admit it." I smiled. "You're having a ball."

"I don't trust camaraderie. All these people smiling, buying me drinks... it's unnatural. Mind you, I can't say I hate the notion of being the Good Tevinter. "I suppose you can't all be evil bastards." The blacksmith said that and he spat when we first met. I hope my father hears. He'll shit his smallclothes from shock I swear."

"I'm happy you're here after all that's happened." I said, interrupting his tirade.

"I fully expected to die. It would have been thematically appropriate. And you! You could've been a martyr. Oh, the songs they would have composed."

"There will still be songs." I countered.

"Yes, but they won't have the same gravitas. We'll just have to be satisfied we're alive. And together. I'm staying by the way. I still can't believe I said all those horrible things to you."

"It wasn't your fault Dorian."

"I'm not so sure amatus. Regardless, there's no you in Tevinter. Nothing else matters."

"I feel the same way about you Dorian."

"Well of course you do. I am me after all." He teased.

I laughed and left him to talk to Varric who had joined us, crossing the room to where Vivienne was talking to several nobles I didn't know. Of all my companions, it seemed she would be the only one leaving the Inquisition.

With a new Divine chosen and soon to be ordained, she was anxious to return to Orlais to help rebuild the mage Circles. Seeing her excitement and determination, I chose not to share my doubts about her success. Given what I knew of Leliana, restoration of the Circles was not high on her list of things to do. Rather than say so, I merely smiled and nodded and wished her success, thanking her for her help with the Inquisition.

As she returned to her conversation with her friends, I paused to take in the laughter, song and smiling faces which filled the grand hall. I smiled as a wave of pleasant exhaustion washed over me. I'd spoken to everyone and they all deserved to continue celebrating long into the night. But I was exhausted and wanted nothing more than a good night's rest away from all the excitement.

Turning, I headed for the door leading to my quarters when Dorian's voice rang out behind me.

"Leaving so soon amatus?" He asked, closing the distance between us.

I smiled. "I am. I'm tired Dorian."

"Tsk tsk." He said, clucking his tongue. "You didn't really think one brief chat would be enough did you?"

"Define enough."

Dorian smiled, his eyes twinkling. "Insolence. I like it." Taking my hands in his, he kissed me firmly before pushing me backwards through the door, his eyes filled with happiness.

My heart felt close to bursting as Dorian gathered me in his arms in my quarters, pressing his lips to mine possessively. Maker. It felt as though it had been an eternity since we'd been alone together. The feel of his arms around me, with his lips pressed to mine, I never wanted to let him go.

"My heart." I whispered. "Maker, I've missed you."

"As I've missed you amatus." He murmured, his voice gruff with emotion.