53: Archdemon

Nathaniel

I left Hawke, Fenris and Merrill and a handful of soldiers and mages watching over Skyhold while my companions and I headed for the Temple and the pillar of green fire.

As we neared the source of power, we could hear the deep booming voice of Corypheus ordering the handful of soldiers who'd been guarding the Temple to bow down before their new god. Screams, shouts and ripples of power rent the air as we drew closer to where Corypheus waited.

Reaching the clearing, Corypheus stood framed in red light, the artifact glowing in his outstretched hand. I noted the bodies scattered about, some were clearly dead while others thankfully just looked unconscious but unharmed.

"I knew you'd come." Corypheus said as I moved into view.

"It ends here Corypheus." I spat.

"And so it shall." He retorted, his hands glowing with red fire as the ruins of the Temple and the ground beneath our feet began to rise into the air.

"You have been most successful in foiling my plans, but let us not forget what you are." He continued. "A thief. An interloper. A gnat. We shall prove once and for all, which of us is worthy of godhood."

I couldn't believe what he was saying. "I didn't come here to become a god Corypheus." I retorted. "I came to stop you."

The look of surprise on his face was unmistakable and as he stared at me, the telltale growl of a dragon drew my attention.

Coming from behind him was his darkspawn dragon, snarling as it stared at me and my friends as though we were nothing more than bugs to be crushed.

It launched itself at me, intent on it's kill, but it never touched the ground. Morrigan in dragon form, crashed into it's left side, the impact sending them over the edge of the platform, away from us.

"How clever of you." Corypheus sneered. "A dragon. It will avail you nothing. You will fall as a warning to those who oppose my divine will."

"Could someone please shut him up?" Bull roared, charging at Corypheus.

"Allow me." Dorian quipped, sending a bolt of fire slamming into him.

"You dare touch an avatar of divinity?!" Corypheus bellowed as several demons came at his call to attack us. "Feel my wrath, little wretch." He said, targeting Dorian with a bolt of red lyrium power.

My heart froze as Dorian's knees buckled under the onslaught. I raced to his side watching in relief as Cassandra reached him first, her shield raised to protect them both.

Bull roared again, his great-sword cleaving through the air to attack Corypheus. With a snarl he vanished, moving away from the battle, his retreat taking him up the path skyward to where the ruins he'd raised reached their peak.

"Look at you!" He snorted. "A soporati, nipping at the heels of your betters. You are nothing! All you love will be ground under the Imperium's heel."

"Anyone else bored with this monologue?" Dorian muttered as we followed Corypheus to the top of the now air-borne ruins. "I know I've heard enough."

"More arrows!" Sera cried.

"Right behind you Buttercup." Varric answered.

"I'm glad the two of you are enjoying yourselves." Cassandra huffed, falling in behind me and Vivienne.

"Truly darling. It is an epic battle. One for the history books." Vivienne purred.

"Then perhaps you would allow me to pass my lady?" Blackwall grumbled. "I can't do much to help from behind you."