59: Missing

Nathaniel

After leaving Morrigan I headed for the tavern. I figured Dorian would still be there harassing Bull and Sera, especially if they weren't in the best shape this morning. Smiling to myself over what I imagined he was saying, I entered the tavern seeking his ebony hair and bronze skin.

But my smile faltered when I saw no sign of him, my eyes landing on Bull who was lounging in his favourite spot looking no worse for wear.

"Boss! Surprised to see you so early. Thought you and Dorian would spend the day in bed." He teased, raising his tankard in greeting.

"As much as we both would have enjoyed that, I'm expecting several nobles to arrive today."

"Ah. So the hero is preparing for the masses to fawn at his feet. Good on you boss. You deserve it after all this work."

"Thanks Bull, though I didn't do it alone."

"True. But that won't matter to a bunch of noble assholes. Watch yourself though, those nobles can be slippery bastards. Never know when they're playing you or being sincere."

"I'm sure Josephine can handle it."

"I suppose she can. The ambassador does know her stuff in that department. Anyway, what can I do for you?"

"Nothing right now Bull. I was just looking for Dorian. He'd said he was going to see how everyone fared last night."

"You mean tease us mercilessly." Bull clarified.

"Yes, well he is Dorian." I smiled.

"As much as I enjoy swapping witticisms with the Vint, I haven't seen him. If he's looking to check up on us, he hasn't made his way to the tavern yet."

"Hmm." I frowned. "Well perhaps he went to see Leliana or Josephine first. I'll check with the them, but if you see him tell him I'm looking for him would you?"

"Sure thing boss."

Varric

He'd been so tired after the celebrations he'd returned to his room and slept until the sun rose over the horizon. Now seated at his favourite chair by the fireplace, sipping a tea Merrill swore worked wonders on over-indulgence. Pulling Isabella's letter from the pocket he'd tucked it in yesterday, he began to read.

"Varric,

Thanks for the letters. It's a relief to know Hawke is okay and didn't do anything stupid like get herself killed while I was away.

I have a ship of my own now and I've been everywhere. Pillaging, stealing, making nobles walk the plank... all great fun. But it hasn't been the same without my friends around to brag to. I heard you were in Ferelden, staying at some long-lost Keep in the mountains and was hoping to see the lot of you.

I'm headed for Denerim and will be staying at The Pearl. I'll be there in about three days if the weather holds should you or Hawke or anyone else want to meet and catch up. If not, stay safe and say hello to Hawke and Merrill for me. I miss you all and bugger Hawke for making me go soft.

Kisses,
Isabella"

Denerim? Isabella had a ship? Varric shook his head. As much as he'd tried to stay mad at her for all the trouble she'd caused in Kirkwall, he'd never been able to stop liking the irritating pirate queen. Despite everything, she had matured a lot since first meeting Hawke in the Hanged Man and he missed having her wise-cracking, fun-loving self around.

But as much as he'd like to see her, he had no plans to leave Skyhold yet. The Inquisitor needed his help with the Dread Wolf business and unless a miracle happened, it would be a while until he was free to travel anywhere.