8: Red Templars

Dorian

He stood there, shivering in the cold afternoon sun as he watched the Herald make his way back to the Chantry. He kicked himself as he watched him go. The man had been trying to get to know him better and he'd turned him aside. Why? He was almost certain the Herald had been flirting with him and he'd shut him down. Was it fear? Perhaps. Though he would never admit it.

He didn't want the Herald thinking less of him. For whatever asinine reason he had yet to fathom, he desired the man's trust and support more than his affection. It was such an odd thing for him, he hadn't known how to continue their conversation without turning it into something sexual.

If he was wrong and reciprocated a misunderstood compliment, he wasn't certain he was up for the inevitable rejection. The Herald didn't strike him as someone who would hold that sort of thing against him, but he wasn't willing to take the chance. Better to dream about the possibility than know for certain and be disappointed.

It was while he was lost in thought that the dwarf, Varric, appeared before him.

"There you are Sparkler." He said. "I've been looking for you."

"Sparkler?" Dorian repeated.

"Yeah. Sparkler. Come with me and join me for a drink. You look like you could use some warming up."

"Are you certain that's wise?" Dorian asked, falling into step beside him. "You know what they say about mages from Tevinter."

Varric chuckled. "Of course I do. I'm one of them. Now come on, let's drink."

Over a pint of ale which Varric generously paid for, Dorian found himself relaxing by degrees as the mood in the tavern resumed it's low murmur of conversation following his arrival. Most of the patrons ignored him or recognized him as having aided the Herald and spared him little more than a suspicious glance before returning to their drinks.

Enchanters - Tavern Song

"So Varric. Do what do I owe this courtesy?"

"Just wanted to get to know you better. I've heard some not so good things about Tevinter."

"And? You want me to confirm or deny these things?"

"Can you?" Varric challenged.

"Depends on the question."

"Fine. Slaves. Did you have any?"

"My family had slaves. I personally, have never had slaves."

"Are they treated badly? Abused?"

Dorian frowned. "That sounded like an accusation."

"Well?"

"There are some magisters who abuse their wards, but those who do are dealt with. It's bad enough what the rest of Thedas thinks of Tevinter slavery, but we do not tolerate abuse."

"You sure about that?"

Dorian grew cross. "What is this about Varric? It sounds like you know something from personal experience."

"I was in Kirkwall. There were a lot of slavers there, buying people and kidnapping refugees from Ferelden to take back to the Imperium. I wanted to know what you knew about it."

"In Kirkwall?"

"So you didn't know."

"It's not as though the people who engage in such practices have a storefront. Most slaves are taken on Qunari raids or are part of a slave's existing family."