43: Abelas

Dorian

After speaking with Morrigan he returned to the library, no more enlightened than when he'd left. He still didn't know why he hadn't told Nathaniel he wanted to be with him. Nor did he feel any pull to reassure him now. Though the thought caused him a slight tinge of sorrow, it was fleeting enough that it changed nothing. Retrieving the book he'd been reading earlier, he settled into his chair and lost himself in it's pages.

Nathaniel

I woke alone the following morning, my pulse speeding at Dorian's absence. I was on my feet in an instant and dressed minutes later. Where was he? Had he even come to bed last night? What was going on with him? I then recalled the disquiet I'd felt last night regarding the talk with Solas and the absence of the wolves around Skyhold. I headed for the main hall intending to find and talk to Dorian when Morrigan blocked my path.

"Inquisitor." She said. "We have need of you in the War Room."

----xxx----

"A large Red Templar force has been spotted in the Arbor Wilds." Cullen informed me once I'd joined them. "They are being led by Samson, a former Templar. Corypheus is with them."

"They seem to be headed toward an ancient elven temple." Leliana added.

"Do we know anything about what they're looking for?" I asked.

"It is as we discussed Inquisitor." Morrigan answered. "Corypheus likely seeks the Eluvian. If there is one to be found, it will be there."

"Then we have to stop him." I said. "Gather our forces. Leliana, send your agents ahead to slow them down and sabotage the camps. It will give our soldiers time to catch up. Josephine, contact our allies and have them send supplies ahead. We cannot let Corypheus reach that mirror."

"At once Inquisitor." They replied in unison.

While my advisors went to work, I left the war room and headed for the library. I had to talk to Dorian. What with his absence last night and his reluctance to discuss "us" after we defeated Corypheus, I needed to see him.

Dorian

He woke in the library, his neck and back stiff from the position he'd slept in. Stretching, he took several minutes to orient himself. Why was he still here? Why hadn't he joined Nathaniel last night? Had they argued? He couldn't remember. He was still searching his memory when Nathaniel appeared before him looking upset.

"Dorian." He said. "Why are you here? Why didn't you come to bed last night?

Getting to his feet, he replaced the book he held on the shelf and turned to face the Inquisitor.

"You know me." He drawled. "I just got caught up in my reading and must have fallen asleep."

"But you stopped doing that months ago. Have I done something to upset you?"

"As far as I know, you have not." He frowned.

"I worry about you Dorian. You keep so many things bottled up."

"I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. I did do quite well for many years before you came along amatus."

"I didn't mean..."

"I don't need a babysitter." He snapped. "I heard we now know where Corypheus is. Perhaps you should be more concerned about him at the moment."

"I..." Nathaniel began, his face closing down. "You're right. I should. See you downstairs."

Nathaniel turned on his heel as he finished speaking and left the library, his body stiff with tension as he took to the stairs. Dorian felt a sharp pain lance through his chest as he watched him go.