39: Nobles

Nathaniel

I was not looking forward to this. Blackwall, err Thom Rainier who'd turned traitor to Orlais and ordered his men to murder before running from his crime only to pretend to be a Grey Warden. The amount of treachery and betrayal the man had committed was unfathomable. Yet he'd willingly joined the Inquisition and taken up arms at our side. Risked his life to rid the world of darkspawn and the threat Corypheus posed only to toss it all away to save one of his men and take responsibility for his crime.

"What did it cost you to free me from the prison at Val Royeaux?" Blackwall sneered.

"Josephine called in some favours." I replied, irritated by his tone. Even chained as he was he couldn't keep his acidic words to himself.

"And what will it cost the Inquisition? When everyone learns the Inquisition wields the power they hold to free a guilty man?"

"No one will even remember this after Corypheus is defeated." I retorted. "This business won't even be a blip in their memory."

"I'll remember." He said flatly. "So what happens now? I was prepared to take my punishment in Val Royeaux, ready for the hangman's axe."

"You have your freedom." I said coldly. "You're free to make amends for what you've done. Not as the man you believe you are or as the man you pretended to be. But as the man you really are, Thom Rainier."

"I'm not even sure who he is anymore."

"Then you'll have plenty of time to figure it out." I said, nodding at the guards to remove his chains.

"If my life is mine to do with as I please, I swear it to the Inquisition. If you have need of me, my sword arm is yours."

I nodded and let him leave to the sound of several gasps, muttered words of shock and murmurs of approval. I had no doubt there would be a lot of angry people after they heard I'd given Blackwall his freedom but I didn't care. I saw enough death every day I was out in the field, I didn't need to deliver more while sitting in my pretentious throne in Skyhold. It was my home.

With a sigh I turned my back on those present in the hall and retreated to my quarters for some much needed space. But once I got there I remembered what I'd been doing before the business with Blackwall and returned downstairs. Much as I didn't want to be scrutinized after passing my judgment on Thom Rainier, I needed to speak with Leliana.

I had just reached the second floor when Vivienne called out to me.

"Inquisitor." She purred, her Orlesian accent thick with admiration. "You've done well removing Corypheus' supporters."

"Thank you Lady Vivienne."

"The Inquisition has become a force to be reckoned with and it is all to your credit."

"I have good allies." I said, wondering at her lavish praise. It wasn't like her to be so approving, at least not voluntarily. "You among them. I couldn't have come this far without their support and yours."

"Nonsense darling. You would have done just as well with other supporters though perhaps not as delicately."

"You humble me Lady Vivienne. That is fine praise coming from you, but I'm sure you didn't call me over here just to compliment my achievements."

"You are correct darling." She nodded, her eyes growing serious. "I'm aware of your relationship with our dear Lord Pavus as is everyone else at Skyhold."

I tensed. I didn't like how she'd said that, accusatory or perhaps disapprovingly. Though to be fair, there wasn't much Vivienne did approve of that wasn't in line with her view of the world.