63: Qarinus

*Image: Qarinus from DA Wiki

Dorian

Solas' mood had not improved much since the previous day. Tired of being cooped up inside Alexius' mansion, he'd taken a servant and headed to the market. He knew his appearance in his home city would draw attention, but he didn't care. He was tired of hiding, tired of working alone with only Solas for company. He still couldn't understand the elven mage's motivation for accompanying him to Qarinus.

An elven apostate who had willingly volunteered to travel to the Imperium was not normal. In fact, Dorian was becoming increasingly suspicious of the man's motives. If that wasn't enough, he'd been having strange and unsettling dreams. He was certain he'd been to the Fade several times since crossing into Tevinter, but damned if he could remember any of it.

"Lord Pavus?" Called a deep voice as he browsed the fresh produce.

"That's my name." He said lightly, turning to face the person who'd spoken. Before him stood a strikingly tall and formidable woman. Her blonde hair was a halo of waves about her head as she watched him with interest.

"You came home to Qarinus and didn't tell me?" She said, her brow creased in an angry frown.

"My dear lady, why would I do such a thing? Are you implying we know each other?"

She frowned harder and closed the short distance between them, her eyes searching his face.

"Dorian. Of course you know me. Is this some kind of game you're playing?"

"I'm afraid I don't know you." He said, feeling increasingly uncomfortable under her steady gaze. "I have few enough friends here. The odds that you happen to be one of them are too high to count."

"I don't know what you're playing at Pavus, but I don't like it." She growled.

"I assure you dear lady, I am not playing at anything. I'm merely browsing the market. Now if you will excuse me, I believe my servant has concluded our shopping. Good day." He said, brushing past her to pay for his purchases.

Shocked by his abrupt departure, the blonde bit her tongue to keep from snapping at him. Unsettled by their exchange, she decided to follow him. She had never known Dorian to play games before, at least not this kind of game and her curiosity was quickly replaced with concern.

Pretending to go back to her shopping, she watched him out of the corner of her eye. His behaviour had become quick and furtive. He was clearly nervous about her assertion they knew each other, and the thought seemed to frighten him. She frowned. Maybe he really didn't remember her. It was the only explanation for his current behaviour. Which meant someone had used powerful magic on him, a curse or something more sinister.

She waited until he and his servant rounded a corner on the street ahead before hurrying after him. She had to know what was going on. Dorian was one of her closest friends. If he was in danger she was going to put a stop to it.

Nathaniel

I came down to the common room to find everyone already gathered and a new face seated amongst them. A man with long blonde hair, blue eyes and a scruffy beard sat hunched over at the table between Hawke and Varric.

He looked nervous, angry and very uncomfortable. When he saw me approach, a flash of fear crossed his face before he looked away.

"Ah. Inquisitor. Glad you could join us." Varric smiled.

"Varric!" Cassandra hissed.

"What?" He frowned before flushing with embarrassment at the use of my title. "Oh shit. Sorry, uh...Nathaniel. Cassandra."