64: Help

Nathaniel

It had taken another three days to bypass the Hundred Pillars, but we'd had no choice. We needed supplies before we made our way to Qarinus through the Arlathan forest, so we were heading to a small city in Antiva.

I knew we had to stop, but the delay only served to increase my anxiety and concern for Dorian. By the time we reached Seleny, the closest city inside Antiva's borders, night had fallen and we were all in various states of exhaustion and hunger.

I had no appetite myself, but ate at Cassandra's insistence. I knew I needed my strength, but the waiting was a nightmare. I couldn't stop thinking about Dorian or what Solas might be doing to him as I sat in the warm tavern eating a hearty stew surrounded by my friends.

It hurt knowing he was alone in all this. His only companion an elven mage who had already caused him a lot of harm and for all I knew planned to cause him more. I hated Solas more than I had ever hated anyone. It enraged me to think how Solas had managed to convince Dorian he was a friend. Or what he might have done to make Dorian forget.

The last part hurt more than I was willing to admit, even to myself. What if Solas hadn't done anything? What if Dorian just didn't care about me as much as he cared about his homeland? I knew the thought was a betrayal of everything we'd shared, but I couldn't help it. Just the idea that Dorian had gone willingly was more than I could bear.

"Inquisitor?" Varric whispered at my side. "I know you're worried about Sparkler. There isn't much I can say to help, but try to remember how much he loves you."

Tears brimmed in my eyes as my throat closed up. I nodded, turning away to regain my composure before answering.

"I know Varric... it's just..."

"How has he forgotten you?" Varric frowned. "I don't know the answer to that, but I do know Sparkler loves you. I've only ever seen the kind of love the two of you share in Hawke and Fenris. That kind of connection can't be faked."

"You're right. It's just hard not knowing what's happening." I said, taking a shuddering breath.

"I can't even imagine. But don't worry, we're all here for you. We'll see this through, save Dorian and stop Solas. Don't ask me how, I just know we will. Besides, we can't fail. We've got both the Champion of Kirkwall and the Inquisitor on our side."

"Thanks Varric." I said, getting to my feet. "I appreciate everything you're all doing, but I'm tired. I'm going to bed."

"Sure. See you in the morning, bright and early."

Dorian

He woke to the feel of soft linens against his skin and the welcome softness of a luxurious mattress at his back. He sighed, stretching as he stared up at the ceiling, his thoughts confused. He couldn't remember how he'd gotten here or what he'd been doing before he passed out.

He took a moment to collect himself before swinging his legs over the side of the bed. Glancing around the room, fragments of memory started to return. First the blonde woman who had called him by name, followed by the dizziness he'd felt before he'd lost consciousness.

Frowning, he focused on the dizziness, wracking his memory for any clue as to what might have caused it. Something about the woman nagged at him. Despite his initial reaction to her, a small part insisted he knew her and knew her well. Taking a deep breath, he focused on the memory of her face as he tried to remember her name.

Maevaris. Her name popped into his mind like a flash of light from the sky, accompanied by a searing pain behind his eyes. Was that right? Yes, he nodded to himself remembering more. She was a good friend and they'd known each other for years. In fact, if his memory was right, she was also his only close friend in all of Qarinus.