34: Compulsion

Nathaniel

Outside Dorian's tent I stripped off my armour and piled it neatly by the door. Grabbing my bedroll, I tucked it under my arm and ducked inside. I paused a moment, letting my eyes adjust to the gloom.

I could hear Dorian breathing, but didn't sense anything amiss. I laid out my bedroll beside him before removing my shirt since I tended to sleep hot most nights. I stretched out beside him and snuggled in against his back, careful not to wake him.

The smell of him hit me and I moaned in frustration. I'd forgotten about that but shoved all thought of intimacy away. As tempting as it was to nuzzle and kiss his neck, I was more concerned about the nightmares - if that's what they really were.

But I was even more annoyed he hadn't told me or maybe I was annoyed with myself for not noticing sooner? I growled at myself. This wasn't the time for self-recrimination. I'd deal with that after I knew Dorian was safe. I just wanted to hold him close so I pulled him to my chest, burying my face in his hair and breathed deeply of his scent.

He sighed in his sleep, but didn't stir. After a moment, I let my body relax and began to drift off. I was just thinking Bull may have exaggerated when Dorian suddenly lashed out at something in his sleep.

"No!" He cried. "You can't have him!"

Maker's breath, what was this?

He moaned again and began making horrible whimpering sounds. If I hadn't been beside him I would never had heard it given how quiet he was. "No! I won't help you. I won't!"

The pain and fear I heard in his voice was raw and broken. It was the most awful sound I'd ever heard. I made to wake him and gather him in my arms when he cried out again.

"I'll kill you first wolf. Don't think I won't."

Andraste's flaming ass! The damned wolf again.

"No!" He cried, only this time it was the sound of a soul lost, a future destroyed and a heart whose reason for beating had been taken away. It was so painful to hear that tears sprang to my eyes and I'd had enough.

"Dorian." I whispered, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Dorian, wake up. It's your amatus."

"No." He whimpered. "Can't be. The wolf killed you. You're dead."

"Dorian please. It's me. It's just a nightmare. Wake up, my heart."

He twitched in his sleep as though he were fighting with something and I turned him onto his back, putting my hands to his cheeks.

"Dorian! Wake up!"

He stopped thrashing then and his breathing slowed as his eyes fluttered open and looked at me.

"Amatus?"

My heart was in a vice. It was as though he couldn't tell if he were awake or dreaming still.

"Yes, my heart." I said, feeling my eyes well with tears. "It's me."

"Amatus." He said again as tears rolled down his cheeks. "What are you doing here? Am I dead too?"

"Maker's breath Dorian." I whispered. "Who's done this to you?"

He blinked again and this time I knew he saw me and where he was. His body tensed and he looked at me with such confusion, I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

"Nathaniel? Why are you sitting on me? Did Bull put you up to this?"

I didn't know what to make of his use of my given name, so shocked was I by the change in him. "Maker." I whispered again. "Get up Dorian. We need to talk."