18: Burdens

Nathaniel

I heard footsteps on the stairs and froze. Who in damnation could that be? I'd locked the bloody door! Had someone broke the lock? I held my breath, waiting as the tread on the stairs grew louder, my heart sinking as Dorian appeared below me.

"Amatus?" He called. "What are you doing up there?"

"Nothing." I lied swiping a sleeve over my damp face to brush away my tears.

He smiled, crossing his arms over his chest. "Well that's clearly not true. Fortunately, you're a very bad liar."

"I'm not lying."

"Of course you're not. Now come down here and talk tome."

Reluctant, I did as he asked, catching sight of the haunted look in his eyes. Maker, here I was worried about causing him pain, yet I'd already done that when I fled from him. Yes, I was doing such a good job of not causing him pain, wasn't I?

When I reached him it was all I could do to meet his gaze, but the pain I felt was too strong and I looked away.

"I'm sorry I took off like I did." I said, relieved when my voice didn't crack with grief. "I'm sorry I made you worry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

A sharp intake of breath made me look at him, his eyes filled with an emotion I couldn't read. Wordlessly he crossed the room, crushing me to his chest so hard I almost couldn't breathe. The feel of him, with his arms around me was so welcome and made me feel so safe, I hugged him back, my body relaxing even as tears spilled down my cheeks.

"Hush amatus." He whispered, his hands rubbing in circles on my back. "No need to apologize. Anyone would have reacted the same after hearing Cole's words."

I sniffed, not trusting myself to speak.

"But I was very worried about you. I wasn't certain you would actually return here. You scared me. Please don't do that again. I don't think my heart could take it."

"Dorian I don't deserve you." I said, hating that my reaction had hurt him. This was the second time I'd scared him and he'd asked me not to do it again. Yet I had and hadn't thought twice about it. I felt unworthy and couldn't meet his eyes.

"Nonsense." He clucked. "What a strange thing to say. What brought this on?"

I pulled away from him, not wanting him to comfort me as I spoke. "I scared you. You asked me not to after what happened in the Fade and I did it again."

"Maker's breath..." He whispered, drawing me to him. He kissed me then, his lips so soft and gentle, I felt my heart breaking and I whimpered, feeling lost. He pressed his lips to mine again, this time with hunger, his tongue seeking mine and I responded in kind with hunger of my own.

He pressed himself to me and I could feel his need matching my own, making my pulse jump in my throat. He came up for air and smiled, pressing his lips to my neck to trace a line of kisses along my jaw. I felt myself sway and he gripped me more firmly to keep me steady, a growl coming from deep within his throat as he began to remove my clothing.

I moaned as his fingers brushed my skin at the line of my pants and I shivered under his touch. I felt him smile as he worked to remove my breeches until I stood naked before him. He sighed at the sight of me and I looked at him, my breath catching at the molten hunger I saw in his eyes.

"Oh amatus." He whispered. "Never have I seen a more beautiful sight."

I couldn't speak, so overcome with desire and longing was I, so I reached for him and drew his shirt over his head. I pressed my lips to his breast, sucking hungrily before the garment hit the floor at my feet. He groaned, arching his back to me, silently asking for more.