Chapter Seven

"Are you prepared to take on that kind of responsibility?" he asked, still pressing me against the wall of his office. I think about his question for a second. Am I ready to be a Luna?

"Yes, I think so," I say, my voice shaking more than I'd like it to. He chuckles humorlessly. 

"I need more than 'I think so'," he says with air quotations, mocking my voice a little. I cross my arms, raising my brows. "This pack will always come first for me, that's my job as Alpha."

"So you don't think I'd be a good Luna," I say, gently pushing his body off of me. He rubs his face.

"That's not what I said," he approaches me, setting either hand on my shoulders. "I just want to be sure this is something you could handle."

"I can," my voice doesn't shake but it doesn't sound entirely confident either. He shakes his head, chucking again. He tells me to take more time to think about it and kisses me softly. While standing in the office with him, I realize we barely know each other. I can't make any rash decisions without being on a date at least, so I tell him just that. 

"Layla Mars, are you asking me out on a date?" he breathes against the side of my face. He works soft kisses down my neck, to my collarbone, and across my jawline. I barely mutter a yes before he's kissing me again. We pull apart, both breathing hard. 

I smile up at him. His smile shines down on me causing my heart to squeeze. He pats the top of my head and says he has some planning to do. I take that as my dismissal and wander back into the hallway. Not wanting to return to the party or my room, I decide to find Angie and tell her the news. 

She doesn't hesitate to let out a blood-curdling scream when I finish telling her everything. 

"I can't believe you're going to be Luna!" she squeals a bit too loudly. I dive forward, covering her mouth. 

"Nothing is set in stone yet," I whisper fiercely at her. She giggles and bounces with excitement. I tell her to shush again, with little to no success, and instead, start giggling too. 

This whole situation is kind of surreal. I never would've guessed that I would have a real shot at being luna of a pack, let alone being the Alpha's mate. Just thinking of him makes me shiver. I hope this date is soon because I'm dying to get to know him. 

As if reading my thoughts, Angie asks when the date is. I tell her I'm unsure, but that Alexander is planning something himself. 

"I can do some sleuthing, if you'd like," Angie says with a Cheshire cat grin. I bite my nail, contemplating. I feel like I should trust Alexander's judgment, but I also know Angie knows what I like. I reluctantly agree but warn her to be discreet. 

"Thanks, Ang," I say to her, pulling her into a hug. She squeezes me back and asks me to join her downstairs for dinner. I make her promise she won't dump water on another boy's head. 

"No promises," she says with a wink. We roll off her bed and start for the kitchen. 

Dinner tonight is what I like to call "fend for yourself" night. Nobody has made dinner tonight, understandably so, and you're allowed free reign of the kitchen to make anything you want. Most people order takeout on these nights. Angie and I, well, we make it a competition. 

Pretending we're on a serious cooking show makes the grueling task of cooking a little easier to swallow. Tonight, she's making the main course of alfredo noodles with chicken, and I have the side salad and garlic bread. 

We race around the kitchen, grabbing our ingredients. Truthfully, I got the easy courses tonight. Not that boiling pasta and throwing pre-made sauce into a pot is hard. But, the garlic bread is already frozen and the salad is also already made. I call that a win. 

With my garlic bread in the oven and salads in the fridge, I sit at the island and watch Angie boil her pasta. My thoughts wander back to Alexander. I can't help it anymore; it's almost like I'm on autopilot. 

He shows up outside my bedroom door, holding a gorgeous bouquet of flowers, specifically sunflowers. He has a deep blue button down shirt on, dress pants, nice shoes. His hair is the same as always. I'm wearing my light yellow sundress, the one with the deep v neck and brown buttons. I slip into a comfortable pair of brown sandals, my hair in soft curls over my shoulders. He tells me I'm beautiful, I blush and accept his compliment. Taking my hand, he leads me away from my room. 

"Earth to Layla?" Angie waves her hand in my face, violently ripping me from my daydream. I scowl at her.

"What?" she rolls her eyes at my attitude. She tells me the pasta is done, and my garlic bread is going to burn. I jump up and pull it quickly from the oven. Cooked to perfection, as always. We pile our plates with pasta, salad, and garlic bread. 

Together, we sit at the table and stuff our faces. We compliment each other's parts in the meal and eventually sit in comfortable silence. Several people drift into the kitchen, saying they smelt garlic bread. Ah, garlic bread. The one thing that can bring everyone together. 

"I might just marry garlic bread," Angie says, taking a big bite of her second slice. Crumbs fall from her mouth as she speaks. "Seriously, forget men."

"Tell me about it," I pick up my piece and shove it into my mouth. Though I'm already getting full, there's always room for garlic bread. 

Once we're done eating, we clean up our dishes and leave the kitchen how we found it. Angie invites me back to her room to watch movies but I decline. It's been a long day and I'm ready to pass out. 

We go our separate ways. I peel off my outfit from earlier and grab my comfiest pajamas and throw myself into bed. Exhausted, I start drifting off immediately. I can feel myself smiling as I drift into a peaceful sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

SURPRISE!!!! Two updates in one day?! Wow! OK so, I made this chapter earlier today but it's been finished for a while and I'm just too impatient to wait for tomorrow. So, here, have a second chapter today. This probably won't happen often.
Cherish it.

For real though, I'm sorry for such a short chapter. I'm at a bit of writer's block.

Word Count: 1139

Don't forget to favorite and comment! ❤

Love,

Galaxy Potato

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤