Chapter Four

My luck is seemingly better than I had originally hoped for. There are a handful of parties happening around the area. I spend most of my day lounging around after discovering I have many options. Funny videos consume my time until dinner rolls around. 

Entering the kitchen, I'm met with a few friendly glances and even some nods. I quickly locate Angie, waving me over to a seat at the counter; the best seat in the house. I fill my plate, which is barbeque tonight, and make my way over to my friend. I barely even sit down before Angie's talking my ear off.

"So I heard from Lucas, who heard from Aria, who heard from Gabe that you've been asking about parties?" she looks at me with her eyebrows raised. I smile before taking a sip from the water that Angie had waiting for me, as usual.

"Is Gabe the one with the weird mole?" I point above my right eyebrow, indicating the location of the mole. Angie giggles, glancing around the room.

"No, that's Daniel. Gabe is the cute one with the tattoo sleeve." Angie pauses to chew a bite of mac and cheese. "You talked to Gabe too?"

"I thought that was Landon," I rest my head on my chin, thinking. At this point, I'm messing with Angie. Her reactions always make me laugh. 

"How many men did you talk to about a party?" she whispers yells at me. I shrug, smiling. 

"A girls gotta do what she's gotta do."

We eat in silence for a few seconds before Angie speaks up again. "I'm coming with you."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," I lightly push her arm. We grin at each other as if we've been friends for years instead of a week. "You can choose which one we go to since you know the area better." 

"Finally you're making sense," she teases, eating a final bite of bread. She scoops her plate up and heads to the sink. As I'm watching my only friend walk away, I feel someone slide into her seat.

"This seat taken?" the voice doesn't sound super familiar. I can't quite pin down who it is. I can confidently say it isn't Daniel, due to lack of mole. The jury is still out for Gabe because of the tight hoodie he's dressed in and Landon who I can't quite remember what he looks like.

"I guess it's not," I hope he can't tell I'm blanking on his name. He smiles at me kindly, turns away, and starts eating. We sit next to each other and eat in silence. 

"Did you ever find a party to go to, Layla?" the mystery boy asks. I curse myself for not remembering his name because he knows mine. I nod. 

"Angie and I are deciding which one to go to," I turn my attention back to my own plate, eating faster. I need to get out of here.

"I really enjoyed talking to you earlier," I can feel his heated gaze on the side of my face as I busy myself with my fork. My face burns with embarrassment. I give him a quick glance accompanied by a shy smile. 

I stuff my last fork full of food into my mouth and jump to my feet. "this has been great, but I should be going."

"Save me a dance at the party you go to, I'll probably see you," he gives me a once over before settling his gaze on my eyes. My body turns cold under his stare. The food I just ate sits uncomfortably in my stomach. 

"I don't," the words tangle in my mouth as I'm trying to gently let him down. Another voice interrupts my rejection, saving me.

"Back off, Landon," Alpha Alexander appears behind me. Landon gulps. "you have patrol duty tonight and will be doing no partying."

Landon nods, grabs his still full plate and hurries off. I sheepishly turn to Alexander. 

"Thanks, but I had that handled," I say, head down. He huffs.