Chapter Six

A couple of days have passed since The Incident, as I've decided to call it. I haven't told Angie who The Incident happened with yet, but she acts as if she's some great detective, and it's her personal mission to find out who it is. Normally, I'd tell her right away but due to the almost kiss being with her brother, I don't know how she'd react. 

Just about every guy we pass by she guesses is "him". I prepare myself as we walk down to eat lunch that day. Moon Goddess knows how many men will be down there that she harasses for information. 

Case in point, a quiet boy named Evan walks in, minding his own business, and Angie nearly tackles the guy. 

"I know what happened last Friday," she says, pointing an accusatory finger at him. He backs up against the fridge, eyes wide. 

"I-" he can barely get any words out. 

"I understand, Layla is a hottie, but to leave her kissless like that," she shakes her head as if she can't believe it. "Is just rude."

My face burns with embarrassment. I flash a sympathetic smile to Evan who looks like he's about to wet his pants. "Ang-".

"No, Layla, he needs to be held accountable," she turns back to him and upturns the water bottle in his hand, all over his buzzed head. His lip quivers. 

"It's not him," I say, hands covering my face. Angie drops the bottle and grins shyly. She hands Evan a small dish towel and offers an apology. 

"I'm telling Alpha," he scurries away, on the verge of tears. I face Angie, arms crossed, tapping my foot. 

She rubs the back of her neck sheepishly. "Maybe I took it too far."

"You think?" I ask, gesturing in the direction the boy ran off in. We glare at each other for a few seconds before busting out in laughter. She slaps the counter, giggling. We take turns mimicking his voice. Tears are streaming down our faces as we continue laughing like lunatics. 

"I'm telling Alpha," my face is pinched in frustration and it shakes as I hold in my laughs. Angie stops laughing all of a sudden, straightens up, and clears her voice. I turn around, still giggling. My laughter dries up as well when I see who it is.

"Tell Alpha what?" Alpha himself asks. Angie and I exchange a worried expression. My cheeks turn an unflattering shade of tomato under his heated gaze. I was worried he had forgotten The Incident, but that stare is telling me otherwise. 

Almost reading my mind, Angie says, "Okay what is going on with the undressing each other with your eyes?" 

"It's not like that," Alpha says, while I stutter over what to say. If there's one thing I'm bad at it's lying to a good friend. She glances between us, a grin slowly emerging across her tan face. She squeals. 

"He's the one, isn't he?" she all but screams at us. She starts spinning and jumping in a circle. I'm about to confirm what she suspects but Alpha beats me to it. 

"Please, Ang. Layla? Don't be ridiculous," he huffs. My heart and jaw drop. I feel like I was just slapped across the face. I wordlessly stand and exit the room. I almost expect Alpha to follow me.

I feel my heartbreak even further when I realize he's not coming for me.

---------------------------------------------------------

Pacing back and forth in my room, I laugh bitterly at myself. What did I honestly expect? To be the Alpha's mate? Please. How childish of me.

Angie didn't follow me to my room either; of course, she'd stay behind with her brother. I don't blame her either. I think I need some time to myself to cool off. I slide my phone from my pocket and into my hands. My fingers automatically find the number I'm looking for; Tyler.